Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pool crashing dilemma

1. Jun 10, 2009 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Say you go to a nice hotel bar, order a couple of drinks, have a meal, and then ever .. so .. subtly .. make your way to the pool (or the jacuzzi) and enjoy a little swim. You don't have a room at the hotel, but since you've had drinks and dinner, you're still sort of a guest.

Is that stealing?

I was reading some discussion about it here:

http://www.gadling.com/2006/10/30/how-to-sneak-into-hotel-pools/

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:rofl: that's hilarious!

I'd say it is stealing, or trespassing. Obviously.

4. Jun 10, 2009 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Never mind the stealing thing. MIH, I'm stunned. You should know to wait an hour after a meal before swimming. Where's your head at? :tongue2:

5. Jun 10, 2009 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it's a slippery slope. I bet I could sit on the edge of the pool with my feet in the water and no one would be upset, even if they knew I didn't have a room at the hotel. I think I could even splash around a little bit, maybe stand on the first step that leads down into the water. BUT- I think if I waded in to the pool, feet touching bottom, that would get me booted.

Good point.

OK, no meal, but maybe 4 drinks instead of two, so they make a decent profit off my patronage. :smile:

6. Jun 10, 2009 #5
    On many occasions I've just let myself in directly to use the pool, a lot of people do this! So if you've paid for drinks and whatnot, I say go on ahead. It doesn't cost them anything, so it's not stealing. They are going to run the pool facilities regardless, which will usually just be empty.

7. Jun 10, 2009 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Heh heh heh, back in my younger days, I did this with one of my stepbrothers. We were out on the beach at night when it was getting chilly and we were getting cold, and passed a hotel with a pool and hot tub. There was nobody there, and it was a hotel with no lifeguard on duty and beach access. On a lark, we decided to try the gate to the pool to take a dip in the hot tub to warm up. I was expecting the gate to be locked and need a hotel key to get in, but it was open. Then I expected to get stopped, and if anyone said something, we'd have just gotten up and left when they said so, but nobody ever showed up.

On the liability side brought up in the comments about the article, if the hotel is so lax in security that anyone can wander in to their pool without being questioned, that is a liability they brought upon themselves. I didn't really expect to be able to get into the hotel pool from the beach without a hotel key, so leaving that gate open IS the liability. It's not like we hopped the fence.

8. Jun 10, 2009 #7

Danger

Gold Member

As Berkeman said, never mind the stealing thing. I want the pictures of you in a bikini, especially after you've had a couple of drinks. :tongue2:

9. Jun 10, 2009 #8
    Perhaps you might like to offer MIH pictures of yourself in a bikini before requesting hers. It's only fair.

10. Jun 10, 2009 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ahahahaha....this brings back a wonderful, hilarious memory...something I haven't thought of in years.

I was on the girls' swim team in high school, and one year we had an end-of-season party at the clubhouse of the pool we practiced in. The pool was closed at the time - it was after hours - so of course none of us planned to swim. Well, we all ended up in the pool anyway, and since no one had brought their swim suit, we were as nekkid as the day we were born.

Then a neighbor called the cops. The cops came and approached the pool with their flashlights and ordered us out of the pool. You can't even imagine the shock they had when they found they had just busted (no pun intened) 20-or-so skinny dipping teenage girls!

Good times....:wink:.

Now get your minds out of the gutter... honi soit qui mal y pense!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  11. Jun 10, 2009 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No thanks! :rofl:

12. Jun 10, 2009 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree. Tit for tat.

I'm going to stop right there. :wink:

13. Jun 10, 2009 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I do hate to see a lovely, empty pool go to waste.

14. Jun 10, 2009 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That makes it so much easier if you don't have to walk past the lobby.

15. Jun 10, 2009 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can't wait til Danger sees this post!

16. Jun 10, 2009 #15
    I'll crash a pool party with you if you need someone to egg you on, you know I have no shame!

(Ok, not really) One time my friends and I were going to get food. We walked into this Asian place and the lady said: "Hi, are you with Empire?" I was said to her: "What?". Then she said, "Oh, were closed tonight. The company Empire has reserved the resturant for the night for company employees. It's open food and bar". I said to her (stupidly) "Oh ok, thanks". My friends said: "Why didn't you just tell her we're from Empire!?!?". I then explained to them how awkward it would be when the boss decides to make a toast to all the employees and everyone is standing around going, " WHO THE HELL ARE THESE BOZOS" as the room is silent and we are shamfully escourted out. We were just wearing whatever, but the employees were wearing nice attire.

It wasn't a large enough party to jusify the crashing of it.

17. Jun 10, 2009 #16

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Just last night I saw on TV a report about a guy who was arrested for going around in a woman's bathing suit, with more women's swimsuits stuffed into the upper part to fill it out.

http://www.whiotv.com/news/19697272/detail.html [Broken]

Was that you, Danger?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  18. Jun 10, 2009 #17

19. Jun 10, 2009 #18
    Ok, I'll show you my tat, you show me your ... :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2009
  20. Jun 10, 2009 #19

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You'd be a great pool crasher. You could keep the poker face. I would confess to the first person who looked at me funny.

Oh, yeah - I saw that yesterday on the news! What on earth was that about? If he were younger I would have sworn it was some kind of fraternity hazing.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  21. Jun 10, 2009 #20

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I was going to pull off a pool crash, I'd have the swimsuit under my clothes - and a couple of thin white towels in my purse that looked like they came from a hotel room.

Didn't I see your tat already in the math tattoo thread?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook