Can I effectively heat my pool using a saddle valve and flexible tubing?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat Pump
In summary: Would you have any recommendations on how to optimize the design?Yes, crimping the post filter return line after your exchanger take-off and feeding your exchanger return back into your return line a foot or so after the crimp would be a good way to optimize the design.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I have been planning a heat exchanger for my pool for quite some time. I'd like some reco's about pressures and pipe diameters.

See attached diagram.

The pool hose is 1 1/4" flexible PVC hose like this:
[URL]http://www.poolsupplies.com/images/products/tn_105550.jpg[/URL]
The pump is a standard Hayward 1/4 or 1/2 HP that generates somewhere around 20-40psi.

It seems to me (and the pool expert who gave me the idea) that I should be able to use one of these saddle valves:
[URL]http://img.diynetwork.com/DIY/2003/09/17/r107_1fb_lead.jpg[/URL]

and some flexible aquarium or other rubber tubing.

Some questions:
  • Can I get a saddle valve for a 1 1/4" flexible PVC pipe?
  • At 20-40 psi, will the saddle valve still be water-tight?
  • What diameter tubing for the heat exchanger would be a good compromise between volume/throughput and surface area/heat exchange?
    1/4"? 3/8"? What's good?
  • I'll need a pressure differential to get the water flowing through the exchanger. Where? (see 1 and 2 in diagram) I'm sure 1 will work. Will 2 work? I mean, I'm adding water back into the input. Does that compromise total throughput?
  • Do I have to worry about whether the exchanger tubing will burst?

Attachments

• pool-pump-heat-recovery.gif
    pool-pump-heat-recovery.gif
    14.4 KB · Views: 624
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
I have been planning a heat exchanger for my pool for quite some time. I'd like some reco's about pressures and pipe diameters.

Dave,
to avoid the possibility of having a constantly plugged heat exchanger line when using any size pipe less than 1" in diameter, I would do the take off after the filter, not before it as your diagram shows. Also, feeding back into the suction side of your system would not only lower your exchange efficiency, it would short circuit your pool circulation somewhat and could cause even more significant problems.

If you're really intent on prolonging the life of your motor in this fashion, consider creating a venturi effect by crimping your post filter return line after your exchanger take-off and feeding your exchanger return back into your return line a foot or so after the crimp.

*]Can I get a saddle valve for a 1 1/4" flexible PVC pipe? certainly

[*]At 20-40 psi, will the saddle valve still be water-tight? that should not be a problem but you only have 20-40 psi on the pressure side of your filter - there should be a significant drop on the pool side

[*]What diameter tubing for the heat exchanger would be a good compromise between volume/throughput and surface area/heat exchange?
1/4"? 3/8"? What's good? use the size that you can wrap the tightest to get good coverage of the motor housing or insulate the entire pump and tubing combo well

[*]I'll need a pressure differential to get the water flowing through the exchanger. Where? (see 1 and 2 in diagram) I'm sure 1 will work. Will 2 work? I mean, I'm adding water back into the input. Does that compromise total throughput? yes (see comments above)

[*]Do I have to worry about whether the exchanger tubing will burst? yes, especially if you install the feed line on the pressure side and especially especially if you put the return line on the pump's intake line

Possibill said:
Dave,
to avoid the possibility of having a constantly plugged heat exchanger line when using any size pipe less than 1" in diameter, I would do the take off after the filter, not before it as your diagram shows.
Hm. Hadn't thought of that.

But wait, if my draw is after the filter, where is my return? It's got to be somewhere of lower pressure.

Possibill said:
Also, feeding back into the suction side of your system would not only lower your exchange efficiency, it would short circuit your pool circulation somewhat and could cause even more significant problems.
Good points on both. I was thinking that 5 or 10% might not be significant.

Possibill said:
If you're really intent on prolonging the life of your motor in this fashion,
Prolonging my motor is ancillary. I'm doing this to warm my pool by a critical fraction of a degree.

Possibill said:
consider creating a venturi effect by crimping your post filter return line after your exchanger take-off and feeding your exchanger return back into your return line a foot or so after the crimp.
Oh that's how I get a pressure diff...

But I'm loathe to make any changes whose purpose is to lower the total throughput. You can never have too much throuput, but it's pretty easy to have too little.

1. What is pool pump heat recovery and how does it work?

Pool pump heat recovery is a system that utilizes the heat created by a pool pump to warm up the water in a swimming pool. This is achieved through a series of coils or tubes that are placed around the pump's motor, which collects the heat generated by the pump and transfers it to the pool water. As the water circulates through the coils, it absorbs the heat and returns to the pool at a warmer temperature.

2. What are the benefits of using a pool pump heat recovery system?

There are several benefits to using a pool pump heat recovery system. Firstly, it helps to reduce the energy consumption of the pool pump, resulting in lower energy bills. Additionally, it extends the swimming season by keeping the pool water at a comfortable temperature even during colder months. Furthermore, it is an eco-friendly option as it utilizes the heat that would otherwise be wasted.

3. Can a pool pump heat recovery system be installed on any type of pool?

Yes, a pool pump heat recovery system can be installed on any type of pool, including both above-ground and in-ground pools. The size and design of the pool may affect the efficiency of the system, but it can still be installed and used on any pool.

4. How much does a pool pump heat recovery system cost?

The cost of a pool pump heat recovery system can vary depending on the size and complexity of the system, as well as the type of pool it is being installed on. On average, a basic system can cost anywhere from $500 to $1500, while more advanced systems can cost up to $3000. However, the long-term savings on energy bills make it a worthwhile investment.

5. Is maintenance required for a pool pump heat recovery system?

Yes, like any other pool equipment, a pool pump heat recovery system requires regular maintenance to ensure it continues to function efficiently. This includes cleaning the coils or tubes regularly to prevent any buildup of debris or algae, as well as checking for any leaks or damage. It is also recommended to have a professional inspect and service the system once a year to ensure it is working properly.