Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poor people must die

1. Jan 8, 2006 #1
    poor people must die!!!

:cry: so i thought the only place that there's no difference between poor and rich is internet. but now i noticed that only people who pay some money can have avatar and signature!:cry: :cry: i'd pay if i could, but i couldn't pay any money for online shoppings. i know you even don't bother to reply to me,since i'm not so rich. this website is for scientists and students, how come do you expect a poor student to pay money? :cry:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2006 #2

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you feel that it's necessary to have an avatar and signature to make a meaningful contribution, you're probably missing the point of the forum.

4. Jan 8, 2006 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Contributors get some extra perks but the core of the forum is free for everyone. It takes money and a great deal of effort to make PF possible.

5. Jan 8, 2006 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I fully echo the OP's sentiments. I too am very angry with society because I'm too poor to afford a Ferrari and a Gulfstream jet. How does society expect me to contribute to my full potential if I'm denied these basic necessities of life ? HOW UNFAIR !!!!!!!

That was sarcasm in case anyone missed it. The board is free for all, there are some window dressings if you contribute a little, a lot of boards are the same way. Deal with it.

6. Jan 8, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We don't expect poor students to pay money; that's why all the important functions of the site are free to anyone. Signatures and avatars are frills and do not add to the functionality of the site. They are a small way of saying "thank you" to those who are willing to contribute to keep this site running so that it remains accessible to the poor students who need it. Avatars and signatures are not the reason to contribute, keeping PF available to everyone who needs it is.

7. Jan 8, 2006 #6
    Go to your options and turn Avatars and Signatures off. That will teach those rich kids!!!!! :smile:

8. Jan 8, 2006 #7

Danger

Gold Member

My financial situation was pretty grim when I first found this site as well. I got so much out of it, and want to help others get what they need out of it, that my first priority when I became full-time employed was to contribute. No one expects a poor person or student to scrape up his last penny. On the other hand, giving up 6 beers or 3 packs of smokes will cover a year's membership. I consider it a privilege to participate here, and well worth paying for.

9. Jan 8, 2006 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What the heck kinda beer do you drink that costs so much

10. Jan 8, 2006 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Beer at a bar can rack up quickly, and I'm sure he over tipped the waitress. :biggrin:

11. Jan 8, 2006 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Spending $30 on alcohol on a night out is not a difficult achievement. A beer is usually $5-6, and cocktails are usually $8 or more.

- Warren

12. Jan 8, 2006 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I thought he was talken about a 6pack , ha!

13. Jan 8, 2006 #12
    :uhh:

As I tried to stand on my head on a barstool last night, only to have it all come crashing down into a heap of mess on the floor, I found myself thinking that my money would have been better spent on other things. The bartender made that decision for me shortly after. :frown: I wish I had had that thought much earlier, maybe while busting out a karaoke tune for a staff party that we slipped into, or definately when standing on the bar prepping to show a half cresent moon.

Beer, that was not cool.

14. Jan 8, 2006 #13

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Strange words coming from Homer Simpson :tongue:

I prefer to think of it as doing a favour for the poor kids by shrinking the potential audience they are missing out on.

15. Jan 8, 2006 #14

JamesU

Gold Member

How many threads are there about this? :rolleyes:

Save up your money

16. Jan 8, 2006 #15
    You're one to talk.:tongue:

17. Jan 8, 2006 #16

Lisa!

Gold Member

$25 isn't a fortune!:wink:

:rofl:

18. Jan 8, 2006 #17

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That was an unreasonable expectation and they usually lead to disappointment. Try to be a little more realistic in your expectations and lighten up a bit. :smile:

19. Jan 9, 2006 #18

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is to some people!

20. Jan 9, 2006 #19

Lisa!

Gold Member

Sure, it is. But we never say someone with $25 is a rich person!:wink:

21. Jan 9, 2006 #20

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You get no sympathy from me.

Rather than say "Thank you, Greg, for putting up the money, effort, and time for giving a website in which I can LEARN FOR FREE", you are whinning about the BELLS AND WHISTLES that do NOTHING as far as what PF is about.

This is one of those cases where even after you give some people something for nothing, they STILL want more! People like this only deserves to have the previleges taken AWAY from them so that they can finally get it through their heads of what they had in the first place.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?