Build Pop Can Catapult: 10m High, 15m Far w/ High School Physics

• Thread starter George Mihaylov
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Catapult
In summary, the speaker wants to build a catapult that can launch 354ml pop cans 10 meters high and 15 meters far using wood and a steel rod. They have found a design they like but are unsure of the dimensions and angles needed. They have looked up pumpkin catapults for inspiration but have not found one that fits their needs. They hope the design they have found will work and are willing to try the trial and error method if necessary. The cans will be full, but the catapult will only be used outdoors and in a safe manner.
George Mihaylov
Hello everyone.
Not only that I only have High school physics but I don't even remember most of the physics I learned in high school, so when the idea of creating a pop can (354ml aluminium can) launching catapult that can launch the can at a 10 meter hight and 15 meters far came into my head I quickly realized that projects its going to be above my capabilities. So I googled around and came across some pictures of catapult designs that might do the job but I still need help with the calculating the dimensions of the thing that's why I registered here to see if someone might want to help me with that.

This is the design I like because I have all the tools to work with wood and I can replace the rubber bands with Bungee cord, but this is obviously too small and I have no Idea how to calculate the angle that I need to stop the arm at or how long the arm needs to be to achieve my goal of 10 meters high and 15 meters far.

catapul2.gif

In summary I want to build a catapult that will:

Use 354ml pop cans as AMMO
Shoot the pop can 10 meters high at its Peak
Shoot the pop can 15 meters far (While being 10 meters high)
Be made mostly out of wood (except the steel rod that will go through the arm)

Thank you very much in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thank you for replying and the suggestion. Yes I looked those up and I couldn't find anything that is not too complicated or too big for my needs. I forgot to mention that I need this catapult to be easily transported in the trunk of a car if that's possible. I really hope that the design I found will do the job, because I think it's easy to build, but not being able to calculate what dimensions and angles I need to use is where I am stuck. I don't want to build it two or more times, but if everything else fails I will try the Trial and Error method. :smile:

Are the cans full or empty? Hopefully empty - a full can would be dangerous.

Full cans. The catapult will be used only outdoors and in a very safe manner. :)

1. How does a pop can catapult work?

A pop can catapult works by converting potential energy stored in the compressed springs or elastic bands into kinetic energy, which propels the can forward. When the springs or bands are released, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy and the can is launched into the air.

2. What materials are needed to build a pop can catapult?

To build a pop can catapult, you will need a wooden base, springs or elastic bands, a pivot arm, a launching arm, and a pop can. You may also need screws, nails, and glue to assemble the parts together.

3. How do you calculate the height and distance of the catapult's launch?

The height and distance of the catapult's launch can be calculated using the principles of projectile motion and energy conservation. You will need to know the angle of launch, the initial velocity of the can, and the height and distance of the target. You can also use a physics simulation program to estimate the launch trajectory.

4. How can I increase the height and distance of my catapult's launch?

There are several ways to increase the height and distance of your catapult's launch. You can adjust the angle of launch, increase the initial velocity of the can by using stronger springs or bands, or make the launching arm longer for a larger range of motion. You can also experiment with different materials and designs to optimize the catapult's performance.

5. Is it safe to build and use a pop can catapult?

As long as proper safety precautions are taken, it is safe to build and use a pop can catapult. Make sure to wear protective gear, such as goggles, and keep a safe distance from the catapult while it is in use. Also, never aim the catapult at people or animals.