1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pop Can Qusestion: Plz Help !

1. Nov 12, 2006 #1
    I was assined a pop can project in calculus class that contained three parts. I did the first 2 parts with little to no trouble but I really need help on the third because I dont even know where to start. Plz help me as soon as possible!

C.) When a 12 oz can is to be manufactured there is no waste involved in cutting the metal that makes the vertical sides of the can ( why?), but the top and bottom are made from square pieces of metal and the corners of the square are wasted. Find the dimensions of the most economical can ( remember that the square corner pieces are not used but would be part of the materials purchased to make the can.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME , I NEED TO FINISH SOON !!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I had some trouble interpreting this, but I think all they are looking for is the minimum area of metal needed to make a 12 oz cylindrical can, subject to the fact that the circular ends of diameter d and raduis r require excess material. The total area of metal would be A = pi*d*h + 2d², with the volume being V = h*pi*r²

4. Nov 13, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is no waste from the vertical sides because that is a rectangle shaped into a cylinder. Let h be the height of the cylinder, x be the length of the sides of the square from which the top and bottom are cut. I hope it is obvious that x should be the diameter of the the top and bottom (otherwise we could first cut a square to that size and then cut the circle). The radius of the top and bottom is x/2 so the volume of the cylinder is [itex]\pi (x/2)^2 h= \frac{\pi}{8}x^2 h= 12[/itex] (12 oz is a volume.) The waste material will be the area of the square minus the area of the circle: [itex]x^2- \pi/4 x^2= (1- \pi/4)x^2[/itex]. You want to minimize that subject to the condition that [itex]\pi (x/2)^2 h= \frac{\pi}{8}x^2 h= 12[/itex].

5. Nov 13, 2006 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think minimizing the waste is not sufficient. x can be made arbitrarily small by making h as big as it needs to be to form a 12 oz can with tiny circles for ends. The total area of metal used to make the can, including the waste, must be minimized.

6. Nov 14, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ah, you are right. I misread the problem. The problem is to minimize [itex]\pi x h+ x^2[/itex] subject to the condition [itex]\frac{\pi}{8}x^2h= 12[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?