Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pop goes the eardrum [not for the squeamish]

1. Feb 25, 2005 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I've been sick all week (which is why I haven't posted much), but I wanted to share what I woke up to Monday morning: After an evening/night of intense pressure in my head, I awoke to what an balloon must feel like when you let it go (it actually sounds like it too - pffffffffffffffffft). Being groggy, but feeling better, I didn't put 2 and 2 together right away, but later stuck a finger in my ear and came back with blood. Yay, ruptured eardrum.

Its actually not as bad as it sounds (this happened to me once in high school) and it heals on its own just fine. I wasn't awake this time when it actually popped, which is good, because that part is extremely painful.

Just thought I'd share my joy. :yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2005 #2
    That does sound yucky. Hope you feel your same, fiesty, Democrat fightin', Bush supportin', engineering guru self in no time.

4. Feb 25, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Ouch! Sounds like a really bad cold. Hope you get better soon.

5. Feb 25, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's what happens if you get too smart and don't grow your head bigger to go with your brain; all that pressure inside, your brain is going to have to squeeze out through somewhere! :biggrin:

I hope it wasn't your right ear, afterall, it would only add to your pain if the only people you could hear clearly were those on the left. :wink:

Feel better soon! :smile:

Edit: Ooh ooh, wait, I've got another one! Is that what happens when you're around too many liberals and the steam starts coming out your ears? Okay folks, we all thought it was amusing to watch Russ' ears steaming, but apparently it's painful, so we'll have to ease up a bit. It's all fun and games until somebody loses and eardrum. :tongue2:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  6. Feb 25, 2005 #5

Gza

sorry, i just had to quote that!

7. Feb 25, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's okay...Russ knows my teasing about his conservative leanings is all in jest.

8. Feb 25, 2005 #7

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have been there, and could tell a "one ups manship" type story that would make your current condition down right pleasant. It would involve words like, broken, infected eardrum, transcontinental airplane flight and funeral. So won't go into details.

Get well soon.

9. Feb 25, 2005 #8

Evo

Sorry you're sick Russ. :frown: Hope you (and your ear) get better soon.

10. Feb 25, 2005 #9

russ_watters

As a matter of fact, it was my right ear - you'd think with hippie friends around (yes, I have some hippie friends), it woulda been my left ear!

11. Feb 25, 2005 #10

No, all the drivel goes in the left ear, and builds up against the right ear drum, until...kabloooey!

12. Feb 26, 2005 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, so it's "in one ear and out the other" syndrome.

Hope you're feeling better Russ.

13. Feb 27, 2005 #12
    "heals on its own just fine."

Do you mind if I ask how incapacitating the pain is? How long does it last? How long does it take to heal? And if it really heals completely?

Cuz I recently learned how to provoque rupture in my self-defense class and am wondering how good an option it is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?