BBC Horizon S55E13: Sean Carroll at His Best

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of bad or incorrect media coverage of science and how people may use religion to cope with life's challenges. The people who insist on their religious beliefs as fact and try to impose them on others are seen as the problem. The purpose of religion is viewed as a way to cope with reality when logic and facts may not suffice for some individuals. However, the idea of creationism and denying evolution is seen as incorrect and attempting to teach it in schools is considered foolish. Believing in God is not seen as problematic, but imposing those beliefs on others is discouraged.
rootone
On this forum sometimes people moan about badly presented or just plain wrong media output about science.
They should, though I thought this one was OK.
http://www.watchseriesgo.to/link/vidto.me/6951511

If th link doesn't work anymore then it's BBC Horizon S55E13,

Also Sean Carroll here at his best.
  • logo.png
e.

Maybe he should be President, but I doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:
i like Sean Carroll a lot, but i don't like this talk. it's pointless. although i have seen him lately say philosophy has it's place.

God is not a bad theory because the purpose the theory serves is not just used to view existence, it is used by many people to get through things and conditions of life that science and even rational thought don't do anything for.

what is bad is elevating that theory or belief to fact. a good religious person does not ever forget it is about faith not fact.
the people who insist that their philosophical belief is fact and therefore everyone should and must accept them are the problem.

i think religion's purpose is not really to use it to explain reality, but actually how to cope with reality when logic and fact provide nothing.

a person may say "well it's better to be rational and logical in contemplating your problems". but that may be true for them but it is not a prescription for everyone that works.

is it stupid to think your team won because God blessed them? sure, IMO it is, but so what?

whatever gets you through the day is alright. just don't go insisting that is how others have to get through the day.

creationism is stupid IMO. trying to get it taught in school is idiotic period. trying to deny evolution is dumb.

believing in God is none of those things.

1. What is the premise of BBC Horizon S55E13: Sean Carroll at His Best?

The premise of this episode of BBC Horizon is to explore the scientific research and theories of Sean Carroll, a renowned physicist and cosmologist. Carroll discusses his work on quantum mechanics, the origin of the universe, and the search for a Theory of Everything.

2. Who is Sean Carroll?

Sean Carroll is a theoretical physicist and cosmologist who is known for his work on dark energy, general relativity, and quantum mechanics. He is a professor at the California Institute of Technology and has authored several books on physics and cosmology.

3. What are some of the topics that Sean Carroll discusses in this episode?

In this episode, Sean Carroll discusses topics such as quantum mechanics, the arrow of time, the multiverse theory, and the search for a Theory of Everything. He also touches on the potential implications of his research for our understanding of the universe.

4. Is this episode suitable for those without a background in physics?

While some prior knowledge of physics may enhance the viewing experience, this episode is accessible to those without a background in the subject. Sean Carroll explains complex concepts in a clear and engaging manner, making it enjoyable for a general audience.

5. What makes this episode of BBC Horizon stand out?

This episode stands out for its focus on the work and theories of Sean Carroll, a highly respected scientist in the field of physics and cosmology. It offers a glimpse into the cutting-edge research and ideas that are shaping our understanding of the universe and our place in it.