Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pope Denies Climate Change

1. Dec 13, 2007 #1
    The Pope condemns the climate change prophets of doom

Do you think it is appropriate for a religious leader of billions to make such statements about things that are, honestly, quite outside his range of 'expertise'? If one called the IPCC biased and/or politically motivated, what can one say about the Pope in this case?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2007 #2
    Yeah, why not. Many politicians rant and rave about climate change although this is outside of their range of expertise. It's ultimately up to individuals to make their decision on what they think is true. I agree, that the IPCC and Pope are obviously both biased and politically motivated (although the degree to which is different), but so are many people. Let people say what they want, debate, etc and eventually the truth will probably come of it.

From your quote above it doesn't sound like he denied it, but rather told those who listen to him that they should be skeptical and not just believe whatever they hear. I think this is sound advice, and probably the most scientific things he's ever said.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2007
  4. Dec 13, 2007 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nice to see a religous leader claiming that belief should only come from hard scientific evidence and not just dogma.

5. Dec 13, 2007 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree, from the quotes posted, he isn't expressing a viewpoint other than to leave it to the experts rather than making rash decisions based on non-expert opinions.

6. Dec 13, 2007 #5
    That he is biased and/or politically motivated too?

7. Dec 13, 2007 #6

stewartcs

Science Advisor

It seems by virtue of his position he must be biased...at least some.

8. Dec 13, 2007 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What would be his bias and why? What does Catholicism have to do with global warming? I can't see why he would be biased either way except due to personal bias like anyone.

I wonder how accurately this was reported.
    Since melting ice caps are a focal point of the science, I find this statement somewhat confusing.

9. Dec 13, 2007 #8
    I find the scepticism offensive, given scientific consensus on global warming. How can the Pope warn of public policy being based on the "environmentalist" movement, when what is needed is clearly outlined in the IPCC report? Warning scientists about acting like politicians is silly, you should be worried about politicians acting like scientists.

To think that the IPCC is biased means you're obviously thinking outside your expertise. Honestly, the criticism of the IPCC report is shabby. 600 authors, 620 reviewers, and 113 governments certainly has to say something. Criticize the report all you want, but the other side has nothing to offer on this scale.

10. Dec 13, 2007 #9
    If they were right, one would be enough. (Thanks Al)

11. Dec 13, 2007 #10
    Not exactly. I mean, scientists can say what they want about policy (just like the Pope can say what he wants about science). But policy prescriptions can often be out of a scientists expertise. I'm not saying they can't say whatever they want, I just think people should take their policy suggestions with a grain of salt. They often don't possess the skills to know how regulations will affect human behavior, nor do they often know the costs or benefits of such policy. These are very important concerns when making policy decisions.

Say what you want about this guy, but he definitely brings up some good points. We have to at least consider these sorts of issues when discussing climate change policy.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...=74&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

I agree with this. Did you know that many of the members of the IPCC are actually not scientists, but rather politicians/beurocrats?

12. Dec 13, 2007 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What qualifies your opinion? Are you a climate expert or just claiming expertise?

13. Dec 13, 2007 #12
    Claiming?

14. Dec 13, 2007 #13

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Essentially that is what I'm saying. His personal beliefs (based on Catholicism) will bias his opinion, so by being the Pope it seems his personal biases (based on Catholicism) would influence his actions as well as his statements.

I'm not stating that Catholicism has anything to due with global warming or anthing in the teaches of Catholicism have anything to due with it (it might but I have no idea).

15. Dec 13, 2007 #14

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The point isn't that he is an expert on GW or not, the point is that he communicates directly with God and that he is right. His religion dictates that the world will end with Armaggedon, not global warming. Since the good book is the word of God, anything we say that contradicts that is just plain wrong... and he isn't afraid to tell us so.

BTW,

NICE AVATAR STEWARTCS!

16. Dec 13, 2007 #15

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's certainly not personal opinion, the Pope is privy to information at pretty much the same level as other world leaders and would certainly be privy to the truth on climate change before it's re-packaged for the public, and he has apparently decided to blow the whistle on the scare mongerers... The gig is up. Kudos to the Pope!

17. Dec 13, 2007 #16

wolram

Gold Member

No doubt the pope has ways of getting information

18. Dec 13, 2007 #17

stewartcs

Science Advisor

DUDE you stole my AVATAR!!

I called dibs on it first! :rofl:

19. Dec 13, 2007 #18

stewartcs

Science Advisor

OPPS! I just realized I spelled "due" wrong!

20. Dec 13, 2007 #19
    Unless any of you hold a phd in climatology, I think he has as much a right to comment on the subject as any of you.

21. Dec 13, 2007 #20

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why is mine sooo much bigger than yours?:rofl:

(this is so embarassing, I'm staying out of your threads from now on!)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?