Pope's Exorcist Squad Wage War On Satan

• Thread starter Moridin
  • Start date
Pope's Exorcist Squads Wage War On Satan

The Pope has ordered his bishops to set up exorcism squads to tackle the rise of Satanism. Vatican chiefs are concerned at what they see as an increased interest in the occult. They have introduced courses for priests to combat what they call the most extreme form of "Godlessness." Each bishop is to be told to have in his diocese a number of priests trained to fight demonic possession.

Father Paolo Scarafoni, who lectures on the Vatican's exorcism course, said interest in Satanism and the occult has grown as people lost faith with the church. He added: "People suffer and think that turning to the Devil can help solve their problems. We are being bombarded by requests for exorcisms." The Vatican is particularly concerned that young people are being exposed to the influence of Satanic sects through rock music and the Internet.

:bugeye:

I do not quite know what to say. It seems....strange...somehow.

Answers and Replies

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
We are being bombarded by requests for exorcisms.
Clearly, it's not Satanism that's on the rise, but loonyism (among bombardiers!!!)!

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Yes, papal condonation of wide spread child abuse. What's new?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
By child abuse I assume that you are referring to the teaching of these beliefs?

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
By child abuse I assume that you are referring to the teaching of these beliefs?
I was primarily thinking of the prospective victims of exorcism sessions, condoned by the Pope.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Exorcisms are extremely rare - I think only have a few have occurred over the last fifty years, and these may not have even been sanctioned by the Church. For example, IIRC, the case on which the movie "The Exorcist" was primarily based was not a sanctioned event. [Of course in the movie they throw in every phenomena ever claimed to be associated with so called demonic possessions.]

Is The Daily Mail even a valid reference? I thought this is somewhat of a rag paper like the National Enquirer.

Last edited:
wolram
Gold Member
The pope must be one of a very few that know what true evil is.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Exorcisms are extremely rare - I think only have a few have occurred over the last fifty years, and these may not have even been sanctioned by the Church.
What's "a few"? Fewer than 1000, fewer than 100,000, fewer than 10 million...?

siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
This article claims that the Vatican has denied that the pope ordered the squads
The Vatican has denied a report that Pope Benedict XVI (bio - news) plans a new emphasis on exorcisms.

Father Amorth-- who has gained a worldwide reputation as an expert of the subject, and the author of a popular book on exorcism and demonic possession-- told Petrus that a new Vatican document would call for the designation of exorcists in every Catholic diocese around the world. He also said that Pope Benedict would restore the tradition of reciting the prayer to St. Michael the Archangel, composed by Pope Leo XIII, at the end of every Mass.

But Father Federico Lombardi, the director of the Vatican press office, flatly denied the Petrus report. The papal spokesman said: "Pope Benedict XVI has no intention of ordering local bishops to bring in garrisons of exorcists to fight demonic possession.”
http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=55627

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Exorcisms are extremely rare - I think only have a few have occurred over the last fifty years, and these may not have even been sanctioned by the Church. For example, IIRC, the case on which the movie "The Exorcist" was primarily based was not a sanctioned event. [Of course in the movie they throw in every phenomena ever claimed to be associated with so called demonic possessions.]
Secondarily, it is also child abuse to scare children about non-existing things like demons.
It is beside the point that the Pope and his exorcists believe in them.
They are, that is to say, morally&mentally incompetent to decide when their faith teachings slide into child abuse, only secularists can have that competence.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think you make far too much of this. What's more, the claim is that people are turning to Satanism, which goes directly against everything that the church teaches. So clearly the church isn't responsible for this.

It seems that you are pointing your finger at the wrong people. Who is pitching Satanism to kids?

Last edited:
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Well, what is this horrid rise in the interest of the occult they're referring to?

J.K.Rowling's success, perhaps?
Is she a pernicious influence?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I can't help but think of some modern music that glorifies killing, torture, and rape.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Google
Results 1 - 10 of about 2,190,000 for Satanism

The third hit is titled "The Joy of Satan"

wolram
Gold Member
Google

Morbid ignorant people, did they say what they think satan represents?

I think you make far too much of this. What's more, the claim is that people are turning to Satanism, which goes directly against everything that the church teaches. So clearly the church isn't responsible for this.

It seems that you are pointing your finger at the wrong people. Who is pitching Satanism to kids?

As a side note, Satanism is not devil-worship. That seems to have been lost in the discussion.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
As a side note, Satanism is not devil-worship. That seems to have been lost in the discussion.

That's what I always thought it was. Now I'll have to look it up. Even so, if it were devil worship, that's hardly the same as demonic possession. It does seem rather funny to be discussing exorcism in this day and age though. It sounds like an exaggerated story, though.

That's what I always thought it was. Now I'll have to look it up. Even so, if it were devil worship, that's hardly the same as demonic possession. It does seem rather funny to be discussing exorcism in this day and age though. It sounds like an exaggerated story, though.

Interview with the head High Priest of the Church of Satan (founded by Anton Lavey in the 1960s).

http://www.pointofinquiry.org/?p=122

It is basically a parody of Christianity with things like "black mass", "black pope" "the 11 commandments", "the satanic bible", "The Satanic Sins" etc.

Click on "Listen Now".

By "Satan" they mean "Adversary" and they call themselves adversaries to all forms of faith-based approaches to beliefs. They are basically a bunch of atheist skeptics.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Google
Results 1 - 10 of about 2,190,000 for Satanism

Sure looks like people are turning away from the Good Book in droves. Check out these other growing abominations:

Also from Google
Results 1 - 10 of about 24,200,000 for Lobster

Results 1 - 10 of about 21,300,000 for Shrimp

Results 1 - 10 of about 575,000 for Hair Clipper

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,840,000 for Cotton Polyester Blend

Results 1 - 10 of about 34,500,000 for Pork

But on the positive side, people are now seriously shopping around for slaves:
Results 1 - 10 of about 28,200,000 for Slaves

Joking aside, the ironic thing is that most of the people that either get into Satan worship or those that believe they're possessed by the Devil, likely got their ideas from the Church!

Ivan said:
Who is pitching Satanism to kids?
If I were told that there's a God who wants me to do blah1, blah2, ...blahN without questioning any of it or else...and that there's the Devil that wants me to reject the authority of this God, and that wants me to seek worldly pleasures, who would I vote for?

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What's "a few"? Fewer than 1000, fewer than 100,000, fewer than 10 million...?

In regards to the Catholic Church, I've only heard of three taking place in the latter half of the century, and I think those all involved renegade priests.

On the other hand, many of the more extreme sects of Christianity perform so called exorcisms as a normal part of their conversion process and even their weekly services. They have fits, roll around on the floor, and speak in [so called] tongues.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Sure looks like people are turning away from the Good Book in droves. Check out these other growing abominations:

You specifically ignored the title listed. There is no shortage of hits on satanic pop sites.

Joking aside, the ironic thing is that most of the people that either get into Satan worship or those that believe they're possessed by the Devil, likely got their ideas from the Church!

Beliefs of good and evil go back farther than the church.

If I were told that there's a God who wants me to do blah1, blah2, ...blahN without questioning any of it or else...and that there's the Devil that wants me to reject the authority of this God, and that wants me to seek worldly pleasures, who would I vote for?

Don't lie; don't kill; don't have sex with the neighbors wife; don't be envious of those around you; honor your parents, love your neighbor... horrible stuff. I think you're right - we should teach kids to think of no one and nothing but themselves. Is that what you are defending here?

Again, the church has denied the story.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

It refers loosely to all sorts of practices and beliefs that are often associated with evil in the classic christian beliefs. They also refer generally to concepts of self-indulgence as a way of life.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Don't lie; don't kill; don't have sex with the neighbors wife; don't be envious of those around you; honor your parents, love your neighbor... horrible stuff.
If you insist. I however, am neutral, in that if you don't defend any of those "rules" through reason, there's no way for me to tell whether or not they are horrible.

Until then, could someone remind the Church that they ought to chastize Osama bin Laden's oldest son Abdallah for not honoring his father, and praise the younger son Saad, a leading member of al Qaeda, for obediently following in his father's footsteps? Then they can chastize Saad for the killing.

we should teach kids to think of no one and nothing but themselves.
No, but we should teach kids to think for themselves.

Is that what you are defending here?
No, I'm just revealing the irony involved in the Church probably being the primary publicizer of the Devil.

Last edited:
The pope must be one of a very few that know what true evil is.

:rofl::rofl:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Don't lie; don't kill; don't have sex with the neighbors wife; don't be envious of those around you; honor your parents, love your neighbor... horrible stuff. I think you're right - we should teach kids to think of no one and nothing but themselves. Is that what you are defending here?

There are a lot more things prohibited by the Catholic church than those. It's the longer list that kids start rolling eyes at...the ones like don't have sex until you're married, don't use birth control when you do. If you didn't follow the first rule and did follow the second rule, you have to have that baby, and if you have that baby, you have to have it baptized for which there is a mandatory donation required. We'll ignore the first rule if you get married after you're pregnant and before the baby is born, and if that means you married the wrong person due to youthful indiscretion, then you can't get divorced, but for the right price...oops, donation...you can get an annulment where we pretend neither the marriage, sex nor baby happened. Try to wait until marriage and satisfy some of those urges by your own hand...that's a sin according to the Catholic church too. Is it any wonder teens would just throw in the towel and decide they're already going to Hell so might as well make it worth the trip?