Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pope's Exorcist Squad Wage War On Satan

1. Dec 29, 2007 #1
    Pope's Exorcist Squads Wage War On Satan

:bugeye:

I do not quite know what to say. It seems....strange...somehow.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Clearly, it's not Satanism that's on the rise, but loonyism (among bombardiers!!!)!

4. Dec 29, 2007 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yes, papal condonation of wide spread child abuse. What's new?

5. Dec 29, 2007 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By child abuse I assume that you are referring to the teaching of these beliefs?

6. Dec 29, 2007 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I was primarily thinking of the prospective victims of exorcism sessions, condoned by the Pope.

7. Dec 29, 2007 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Exorcisms are extremely rare - I think only have a few have occurred over the last fifty years, and these may not have even been sanctioned by the Church. For example, IIRC, the case on which the movie "The Exorcist" was primarily based was not a sanctioned event. [Of course in the movie they throw in every phenomena ever claimed to be associated with so called demonic possessions.]

Is The Daily Mail even a valid reference? I thought this is somewhat of a rag paper like the National Enquirer.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  8. Dec 29, 2007 #7

wolram

Gold Member

The pope must be one of a very few that know what true evil is.

9. Dec 29, 2007 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's "a few"? Fewer than 1000, fewer than 100,000, fewer than 10 million...?

10. Dec 29, 2007 #9

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This article claims that the Vatican has denied that the pope ordered the squads
    http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=55627

11. Dec 29, 2007 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Secondarily, it is also child abuse to scare children about non-existing things like demons.
    It is beside the point that the Pope and his exorcists believe in them.
    They are, that is to say, morally&mentally incompetent to decide when their faith teachings slide into child abuse, only secularists can have that competence.

12. Dec 29, 2007 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you make far too much of this. What's more, the claim is that people are turning to Satanism, which goes directly against everything that the church teaches. So clearly the church isn't responsible for this.

It seems that you are pointing your finger at the wrong people. Who is pitching Satanism to kids?

13. Dec 29, 2007 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, what is this horrid rise in the interest of the occult they're referring to?

J.K.Rowling's success, perhaps?
    Is she a pernicious influence?

14. Dec 29, 2007 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't help but think of some modern music that glorifies killing, torture, and rape.

15. Dec 29, 2007 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Google
    The third hit is titled "The Joy of Satan"

16. Dec 29, 2007 #15

wolram

Gold Member

Morbid ignorant people, did they say what they think satan represents?

17. Dec 29, 2007 #16
    As a side note, Satanism is not devil-worship. That seems to have been lost in the discussion.

18. Dec 29, 2007 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's what I always thought it was. Now I'll have to look it up. Even so, if it were devil worship, that's hardly the same as demonic possession. It does seem rather funny to be discussing exorcism in this day and age though. It sounds like an exaggerated story, though.

19. Dec 29, 2007 #18
    Interview with the head High Priest of the Church of Satan (founded by Anton Lavey in the 1960s).

http://www.pointofinquiry.org/?p=122

It is basically a parody of Christianity with things like "black mass", "black pope" "the 11 commandments", "the satanic bible", "The Satanic Sins" etc.

Click on "Listen Now".

By "Satan" they mean "Adversary" and they call themselves adversaries to all forms of faith-based approaches to beliefs. They are basically a bunch of atheist skeptics.

20. Dec 29, 2007 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure looks like people are turning away from the Good Book in droves. Check out these other growing abominations:

Also from Google
    But on the positive side, people are now seriously shopping around for slaves:
    Joking aside, the ironic thing is that most of the people that either get into Satan worship or those that believe they're possessed by the Devil, likely got their ideas from the Church!

If I were told that there's a God who wants me to do blah1, blah2, ...blahN without questioning any of it or else...and that there's the Devil that wants me to reject the authority of this God, and that wants me to seek worldly pleasures, who would I vote for?

21. Dec 30, 2007 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In regards to the Catholic Church, I've only heard of three taking place in the latter half of the century, and I think those all involved renegade priests.

On the other hand, many of the more extreme sects of Christianity perform so called exorcisms as a normal part of their conversion process and even their weekly services. They have fits, roll around on the floor, and speak in [so called] tongues.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?