1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Popped blood vessel.

1. Nov 2, 2005 #1

Mk

If I recently had a blood vessel pop in my thumb what should I do? Am I at risk for popping anywhere else?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2005 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

See a doctor if you are worried.

4. Nov 2, 2005 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How did you accomplish that?

5. Nov 2, 2005 #4
    Did you give yourself a puncture wound? Because we "pop" blood vessels all the time, such as capillaries (no significant blood loss can be seen though with caps.)

6. Nov 2, 2005 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bruising is essentially a 'popped' bloodvessel that causes bleeding under the skin, that's why more information is necessary with what he means with 'popped' and how that happened.

7. Nov 2, 2005 #6

Mk

I thank you three for the quick replies!

Its not me its my friend. She said she was just sitting on the couch when she felt a needle prick on her thumb. Ow. An hour later, you could see blue there, then purple, now its red. What could it be?

8. Nov 2, 2005 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Strange, is she sure she didn't got stung by anything? In any case I would just have a doctor have a look at it, there really is no way to say anything about it at this point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?