Elbow Injury: A Nervous Sound and My Story

• Medical
  • Thread starter mayjan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, a nervous sound in the elbow, or crepitus, is caused by gas pockets or tendon rubbing against bone. It is usually not a serious injury and can be a normal part of aging or caused by repetitive movements. Prevention methods include maintaining good posture and doing strength and flexibility exercises. Treatment options include rest, ice, and over-the-counter pain medication. Complications are rare, but it is important to seek medical treatment if the underlying cause is a more serious condition.
mayjan

I made a youtube video explaining it. I fell on my elbow and now I am almost without pain, but this sound makes me nervous. The sound is a nonevent for my doctor, but for me it is. Can someone help? Had someone the same thing?

thx

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
We are not allowed to diagnose or evaluate medical conditions on this forum, mayjan. Trust your doctor, or perhaps ask for a second opinion. Good luck.

1. What causes a nervous sound in the elbow?

A nervous sound in the elbow, also known as crepitus, is typically caused by small pockets of gas within the joint or tendons rubbing against bone. It can also be a result of inflammation or degeneration of the joint.

2. Is a nervous sound in the elbow a serious injury?

In most cases, a nervous sound in the elbow is not a serious injury and does not require medical treatment. It is often a normal part of the aging process and can also be caused by repetitive movements or overuse of the joint. However, if the sound is accompanied by pain or swelling, it may be a sign of a more serious condition and should be evaluated by a medical professional.

3. Can a nervous sound in the elbow be prevented?

While it may not be possible to completely prevent a nervous sound in the elbow, there are steps that can be taken to reduce the likelihood of it occurring. These include maintaining good posture, avoiding repetitive movements, and incorporating strength and flexibility exercises for the arm and shoulder muscles.

4. How is a nervous sound in the elbow treated?

If a nervous sound in the elbow is causing discomfort or interfering with daily activities, it can be treated with rest, ice, and over-the-counter pain medication. In severe cases, physical therapy or corticosteroid injections may be recommended. Surgery is rarely needed for this condition.

5. Can a nervous sound in the elbow lead to other complications?

In most cases, a nervous sound in the elbow is not a serious condition and does not lead to other complications. However, if the underlying cause is a more serious condition such as arthritis or a ligament tear, it is important to seek medical treatment to prevent further damage to the joint.