Popular misconception -- When the deuterium nuclei fuses to form a helium nucleus

In summary, the mass of the proton in deuterium nuclei is greater than the mass of the proton in helium nuclei. This means that the individual mass of the proton when it was in deuterium nuclei is greater than the mass of the proton in helium nuclei.
avito009
I am no Einstein but I would like to expand my knowledge and share it.

When two deuterium atoms fuse together they become a helium nuclei. Now deuterium nuclei contains 1 proton and 1 neutron. When the deuterium nuclei fuses to form a helium nuclei. Helium nuclei contains 2 protons, and 2 neutrons. Now the mass of the proton in the deuterium nuclei is reduced. This means that the individual mass of the proton when it was in deuterium nuclei is greater than the mass of the proton in helium nuclei.

So here you may say that the mass difference of the proton would have caused a proportional increase in energy in the helium nuclei. If you believe in E= MC2. But in reality it is the opposite.

What actually happens is that when deuterium nuclei fuse the energy in the atom decreases and so there is a corresponding decrease in proton mass. This means that the strong nuclear force and the electrostatic force are less stronger in the fused nuclei. (Not the other way round).

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
avito009 said:
What actually happens is that when deuterium nuclei fuse the energy in the atom decreases and so there is a corresponding decrease in proton mass. This means that the strong nuclear force and the electrostatic force are less stronger in the fused nuclei. (Not the other way round).

I think the correct conclusion would be that what actually happens is that when deuterium nuclei fuse the energy in the atom increases and so there is a corresponding decrease in proton mass in the nuclei. This means that the strong nuclear force and the electrostatic force are more stronger in the fused nuclei. More energy lesser mass.

Is this proper?

You are discussing a topic which has a substantial number of books and general summaries around it. When fusion occurs, energetic particle(s) are ejected. Naturally, there is conservation of total mass/energy through each step. E=mc^2 does apply.

Not sure there are any general or popular misconceptions about this.

avito009 said:
I think the correct conclusion would be that what actually happens is that when deuterium nuclei fuse the energy in the atom increases and so there is a corresponding decrease in proton mass in the nuclei. This means that the strong nuclear force and the electrostatic force are more stronger in the fused nuclei. More energy lesser mass.

Is this proper?

No. The total mass of the nucleus is a property of the nucleus as a whole. You can't pick out the individual nucleons and assign them masses that will add to the total mass - all you can say is that one configuration of two neutrons and two protons has a different mass than another.

Another way to put it is that the mass of a system of particles does not generally equal the sum of the masses of the individual particles. (Here by "mass" I mean what physicists generally mean by "mass" nowadays, which is often called "rest mass" in popular literature and sometimes "invariant mass" by physicists; but not the "relativistic mass" that you often see in popular literature)

avito009 said:
This means that the strong nuclear force and the electrostatic force are less stronger in the fused nuclei. (Not the other way round).

Is this correct?

No, the strength of the forces involved does not change.

avito009 said:
I am no Einstein but I would like to expand my knowledge and share it.
If you believe in E= MC2. But in reality it is the opposite.

What actually happens is that...

This thread is pushing the edge of the rule about personal theories. Now that the underlying misconception has been explained by several posters, we should close it.

Likes davenn

1. What is deuterium and how does it differ from regular hydrogen?

Deuterium is a stable isotope of hydrogen that has one proton and one neutron in its nucleus, while regular hydrogen has only one proton. This makes deuterium heavier and more stable than regular hydrogen.

2. How does deuterium fuse to form a helium nucleus?

Deuterium fusion is a nuclear reaction that occurs in the core of stars. Under high temperatures and pressures, two deuterium nuclei collide and fuse together, forming a helium nucleus. This process releases a large amount of energy.

3. Is deuterium fusion the same as nuclear fusion?

Yes, deuterium fusion is a type of nuclear fusion. It is a process in which two atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing energy in the process.

4. Can deuterium fusion be used as a source of energy?

Yes, deuterium fusion has the potential to be a powerful source of energy. However, it is currently difficult to control and sustain in a practical way, so it is not yet a viable energy source.

5. What are some common misconceptions about deuterium fusion?

One common misconception is that deuterium fusion can be used as a clean and limitless source of energy. While it is a clean source of energy, it is not yet practical to use on a large scale. Another misconception is that deuterium fusion is the same as fission, when in fact they are very different processes.