1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Popular Physics books

1. Jul 11, 2013 #1
    Anyone a fan of pop physics books?

I've found that the analogies and random bits of history in such books help tremendously in addition to a textbook.

Does anyone have a recommendation? How about recommendation for lesser known topics (that is, not relativity)? Specifically, a book that covers concepts of electromagnetic waves would help me a lot right now.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Not a pop physics book, but the Feynman lectures is an awesome supplement.

4. Jul 11, 2013 #3
    Yes! I have a copy of those. Haven't listened to them all yet, though. I think I'll put them on a .mp3 player and start listening to them on my daily commute.

5. Jul 11, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Listened? They have an audio version now?

6. Jul 11, 2013 #5
    Read? They have a text version now?

Haha, I'll check the text version out. I didn't know about them.

I think the story behind the audio version is that Feynman, one time only, taught a full sequence of the introductory physics courses. One of the listeners brought an audio recorder, and there they are. The quality is not very good in places, and in other places he's writing on the chalk board and you have little idea what's happening. But parts of it (from what I've listened to so far) are rather amusing.

7. Jul 11, 2013 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Here is the text version: https://www.amazon.com/The-Feynman-Lectures-Physics-Volume/dp/0201021153
    I'm going to look into buying the audio version...

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. Jul 11, 2013 #7
    Already ordered! This makes me excited. I really disliked the text my college used for those intro classes. Will actually be enjoyable to review these topics now.

Also, if anyone else reads this, I want to put a plug in for international editions. They're significantly cheaper, legal, and exactly the same.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted