Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Popular Uprising in Basra

1. Mar 25, 2003 #1
    A civilian uprising is reported to be taking place in Basra against Saddam's troops. The Iraqi army is firing on its own people and the allies are trying to help the uprising.

This is the news we have been waiting for.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2003 #2
    I'm sure our guys appreciate the help, but the Iraqis need to chill out for a bit longer while we soften up the resistance a little more.

4. Mar 25, 2003 #3

LURCH

Science Advisor

I agree, althought the sentiment reveals a little something about those "ellection results", I fear this will increase the number of civillian casualties. These are untraned ill-equipped people going against proffessional soldiers with military-issue weaponry, I worry for them.

5. Mar 25, 2003 #4
    This is typical of the "last man standing" tactics used by the U.S.: Let the locals fight until both sides are exhausted; then, win the war in a glorified clean-up operation. (Hey, that is how it was done in both world wars.)

6. Mar 25, 2003 #5
    What complete rubbish. Have you even read about the incident?

7. Mar 25, 2003 #6
  8. Mar 26, 2003 #7
    I agree.

9. Mar 26, 2003 #8
    what i have read instead is that iraqi people are assisting the iraqi army and are being consequently getting butchered by US armymen.women and children are also out on the streets with the guns to 'give their life for the saddam'.their have been apprehensions that the so called 'missed bombs' are being deliberately targetted at specific civil areas where resistance against US army was expected.

please dont jump on me for US bashing.i am not claiming the validity of these newsreports.similarly, nor can you for yours.

damn yellow journalism
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Let Truth Prevail
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

10. Mar 26, 2003 #9

FZ+

Look, if the reports are true, then we can all agree it is a very good thing. But I have seen very little independent confirmation so far.
    Let's hope it is a true report, not an exaggeration.

11. Mar 26, 2003 #10
    You've been reading the Daily Mirror

12. Mar 26, 2003 #11

LURCH

Science Advisor

I think yopu are reading about a seperate incident. I may be wrong, but it is possible that the reports we have heard about "Iraqi military personel dressing in civilian clothing to launch suprise attacks" might be viewed (and reported) by someone else as "civilians joining the fight". Which one is true, who knows?

But the civilian uprisings are a seperate story.

13. Mar 26, 2003 #12
    The impression I'm getting now was that it was a relatively minor incident with people rioting over food distribution... sigh. A column of Iraqi armor did just breakout of the city, heading south...

14. Mar 26, 2003 #13
    NOT a very smart move. Their commander is either leading them to surrender, or he is leading them to slaughter. That was a HUGE mistake. Oh well, life is hard.

15. Mar 27, 2003 #14

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Unfortunately in battle you don't get to learn from your mistakes. Only the mistakes of others who died in making them.

16. Mar 27, 2003 #15

FZ+

Patriotism sometimes cloud rational judgement.

May that be a lesson to us all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?