Is Basra's Popular Uprising the Key to Overthrowing Saddam's Regime?

• News
  • Thread starter N_Quire
  • Start date
In summary, a civilian uprising has been reported in Basra against Saddam's troops, with the Iraqi army firing on its own people and the allies attempting to help the uprising. There are concerns about the safety of the civilians, who are not trained or equipped to fight against professional soldiers. Some believe this is a tactic used by the US to exhaust both sides before winning the war. However, there is limited independent confirmation of the reports and there are conflicting accounts of the situation. The incident is viewed as a separate event from the civilian uprisings and there is speculation about the intentions of the Iraqi military. Overall, there is a sense of hope and concern surrounding the situation.
N_Quire
A civilian uprising is reported to be taking place in Basra against Saddam's troops. The Iraqi army is firing on its own people and the allies are trying to help the uprising.

This is the news we have been waiting for.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure our guys appreciate the help, but the Iraqis need to chill out for a bit longer while we soften up the resistance a little more.

I agree, althought the sentiment reveals a little something about those "ellection results", I fear this will increase the number of civillian casualties. These are untraned ill-equipped people going against proffessional soldiers with military-issue weaponry, I worry for them.

This is typical of the "last man standing" tactics used by the U.S.: Let the locals fight until both sides are exhausted; then, win the war in a glorified clean-up operation. (Hey, that is how it was done in both world wars.)

Originally posted by Ben-CS
This is typical of the "last man standing" tactics used by the U.S.:

What complete rubbish. Have you even read about the incident?

What complete rubbish.

I agree.

what i have read instead is that iraqi people are assisting the iraqi army and are being consequently getting butchered by US armymen.women and children are also out on the streets with the guns to 'give their life for the saddam'.their have been apprehensions that the so called 'missed bombs' are being deliberately targetted at specific civil areas where resistance against US army was expected.

please don't jump on me for US bashing.i am not claiming the validity of these newsreports.similarly, nor can you for yours.

damn yellow journalism
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Let Truth Prevail

Look, if the reports are true, then we can all agree it is a very good thing. But I have seen very little independent confirmation so far.
Let's hope it is a true report, not an exaggeration.

Originally posted by teddy
what i have read instead is that iraqi people are assisting the iraqi army and are being consequently getting butchered by US armymen.women and children are also out on the streets with the guns to 'give their life for the saddam'.their have been apprehensions that the so called 'missed bombs' are being deliberately targetted at specific civil areas where resistance against US army was expected.

please don't jump on me for US bashing.i am not claiming the validity of these newsreports.similarly, nor can you for yours.

damn yellow journalism

You've been reading the Daily Mirror

Originally posted by teddy

damn yellow journalism
Let Truth Prevail

I think yopu are reading about a separate incident. I may be wrong, but it is possible that the reports we have heard about "Iraqi military personel dressing in civilian clothing to launch surprise attacks" might be viewed (and reported) by someone else as "civilians joining the fight". Which one is true, who knows?

But the civilian uprisings are a separate story.

The impression I'm getting now was that it was a relatively minor incident with people rioting over food distribution... sigh. A column of Iraqi armor did just breakout of the city, heading south...

NOT a very smart move. Their commander is either leading them to surrender, or he is leading them to slaughter. That was a HUGE mistake. Oh well, life is hard.

That was a HUGE mistake. Oh well, life is hard.
Unfortunately in battle you don't get to learn from your mistakes. Only the mistakes of others who died in making them.

Patriotism sometimes cloud rational judgement.

May that be a lesson to us all.

What is the cause of the Popular Uprising in Basra?

The Popular Uprising in Basra was sparked by widespread discontent and frustration among the citizens of Basra with the government's failure to provide basic services such as electricity, clean water, and employment opportunities. The deteriorating infrastructure and corruption within the government were major contributing factors to the uprising.

When did the Popular Uprising in Basra begin?

The Popular Uprising in Basra began in July 2018 when thousands of protesters took to the streets to demand better living conditions and government accountability. The protests continued for several months and have since resurged periodically.

What is the current status of the Popular Uprising in Basra?

The Popular Uprising in Basra is ongoing, with sporadic protests and clashes between demonstrators and security forces. While the government has made some efforts to address the demands of the protesters, many of their grievances remain unresolved.

How has the government responded to the Popular Uprising in Basra?

The government has responded to the Popular Uprising in Basra with a mix of force and promises of reform. Security forces have used violence and excessive force to disperse protests, resulting in numerous injuries and deaths. The government has also made some efforts to address the protesters' demands, such as providing financial aid and launching infrastructure projects.

What are the implications of the Popular Uprising in Basra?

The Popular Uprising in Basra has significant implications for both the government and the citizens of Iraq. The government's failure to address the protesters' demands has deepened public distrust and anger towards the ruling elite. The ongoing protests also highlight the systemic issues of corruption and economic inequality in the country. Additionally, the instability caused by the uprising has the potential to impact the region as a whole.