1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Population Model

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The differential equation [tex]\frac{dP}{dt} = P(a - bP)[/tex] is a well-known population model. Suppose the DE is changed to:

[tex]\frac{dP}{dt} = P(aP - b)[/tex]

Where a and b are positive constants. Discuss what happens to the population P as time t increases.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\frac{dP}{dt} = P(aP - b)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I thought the population would increase because in the original equation on the intervals:

critical points
    [tex] P(t) = 0[/tex]
    [tex] P(t) = a/b[/tex]

[tex]-\infty < P < 0[/tex] it is decreasing
    [tex]0 < P < a/b[/tex] it is increasing
    [tex]a/b < P < \infty[/tex] it is decreasing

so in the changed equation:

critical points
    [tex] P(t) = 0[/tex]
    [tex] P(t) = b/a[/tex]

[tex]-\infty < P < 0[/tex] it is increasing
    [tex]0 < P < b/a[/tex] it is increasing
    [tex]b/a < P < \infty[/tex] it is increasing

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The derivative is positive (and so the function is increasing) when P(aP- b)> 0. Now, if P< 0, both P and aP-b are negative so P(aP- b)> 0. For 0< P < b/a, P is positive but aP- b is still negative so P(aP-b)< 0 and P is decreasing. Was that a typo?

From that, it seems to me that what happens to the population "as time t increases" depends upon the initial value. What happens if P(0) is less than b/a? What happens if P(0) is larger than b/a? What happens if P(0)= b/a?

4. Oct 1, 2009 #3
    Ok I got it thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook