Porblem about dynamic applications of torque

In summary, the problem involves a 2.85kg bucket attached to a disk-shaped pulley with a radius of 0.121m and mass of 0.742kg. To find the linear acceleration and angular acceleration of the pulley, forces acting on both objects must be identified and Newton's 2nd law must be applied. The linear acceleration can be found by considering the relationship between the accelerations of the bucket and the pulley, and the angular acceleration can be found using the formula I = 1/2mr^2. The distance the bucket drops in 1.5 seconds can be calculated using the linear acceleration and the formula d = 1/2at^2.
wilmerena
Hi, I am working on the following problem:

A 2.85kg bucket is attached to a disk shaped pulley of radius 0.121m and mass of 0.742 kg. If the bucket is allowed to fall,
what is:
linear acceleration, angular acceleration of pulley and,
how far does the bucket drop in 1.5 s?

so far i solved for I = 1/2mr^2

= 1/2 (0.742) 1.21^2
=.0054
now I am not sure how to get the linear acceleration

any tips? :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by identifying the forces acting on the pulley and on the bucket. Then apply Newton's 2nd law to each object. (Hint: since the two objects are connected by a rope, how must their accelerations relate to each other?)

Hi there, it seems like you have already made some progress on solving this problem. To find the linear acceleration, you can use the equation F = ma, where F is the net force acting on the system and m is the total mass of the system. In this case, the only force acting on the system is the weight of the bucket, which can be calculated as mg, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). So, the net force would be mg - T, where T is the tension in the rope connecting the bucket to the pulley. You can then set this equal to ma and solve for a.

To find the angular acceleration of the pulley, you can use the equation τ = Iα, where τ is the net torque acting on the pulley and I is the moment of inertia that you calculated. The net torque in this case would be equal to the tension in the rope multiplied by the radius of the pulley. You can then set this equal to Iα and solve for α.

To find the distance the bucket drops in 1.5 seconds, you can use the equations for linear motion with constant acceleration, such as d = 1/2at^2 + v0t + d0, where a is the linear acceleration you calculated, t is the time (1.5 seconds in this case), v0 is the initial velocity (which is 0 in this case), and d0 is the initial position (which is also 0 in this case). This will give you the distance the bucket drops in 1.5 seconds.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem! If you have any other questions, please let me know.

1. What is torque and why is it important in dynamic applications?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In dynamic applications, torque is important because it is the driving force behind rotational motion and is necessary for the functioning of many machines and systems.

2. How is torque calculated and measured in dynamic applications?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. It can be measured using instruments such as a torque wrench or a dynamometer.

3. What are some examples of dynamic applications where torque is crucial?

Torque is crucial in many dynamic applications, including motors, engines, gears, and turbines. It is also important in sports equipment such as golf clubs and tennis rackets, as well as in construction equipment like cranes and bulldozers.

4. How does torque affect the performance and efficiency of a system?

The amount of torque applied to a system can greatly impact its performance and efficiency. Too little torque may result in the system not functioning properly, while too much torque can lead to damage or inefficiency. Finding the right balance of torque is key for optimal performance.

5. What are some challenges or limitations when working with torque in dynamic applications?

One challenge with torque in dynamic applications is that it is affected by factors such as friction and external forces, which can make it difficult to accurately measure or predict. Additionally, torque can cause wear and tear on components, so regular maintenance and monitoring are important to ensure the system continues to function properly.