When is the vertical displacement negative in projectile motion equations?

• Thread starter totomyl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a quadratic equation to solve for the time of flight of a shell fired from a cliff with a specific initial velocity and elevation. The confusion arises from the choice of coordinate system and the agreement of terms in the equation. It is important to determine the direction of axes and incorporate the initial displacement in order for the equations to accurately represent the physical situation.
totomyl

Homework Statement

A shell is fired from a cliff that is 36m above a horizontal plane. the muzzle speed of the shell is 80.0m/s and it is fired at an elevation of 25 degrees above the horizontal. a) show that thetime of flight is 7.84 seconds.

Homework Equations

dy = viy(t) + 0.5(a)(t2)

The Attempt at a Solution

i got yp to
0 = 0.5(-9.8)(t2) + (80sin25)(t) - (36)

now, i know that i msut use the quadratic eq. but why is that -36m wrong in the equation, in my corrections it says it should be a positive 36 and be a -36 when it is on the left side of the equation. How do i know when to make the vertical displacement negative?

Physics news on Phys.org
-36 is correct, but it looks like you put it on the wrong side of the equation.

The displacement and the acceleration and velocities have to be in agreement with each other.

TomHart said:
-36 is correct, but it looks like you put it on the wrong side of the equation.
sorry for the confusion, i meant that i already moved the 36 from the left side to the right side making it -36, however that is apparently not correct, as it is -36 from the left side to begin with then becomes positive on the right side. why is that?

The terms have to be in agreement with each other. In other words, the initial velocity is in the opposite direction of the acceleration and displacement. So if you are calling acceleration negative, then the displacement has to be negative and the initial velocity has to be positive. Of course, you could reverse all of them if you wanted to.

It's up to you to choose your coordinate system before writing your equations. If you set the origin at the launch point with y increasing upwards then the final elevation (when the shell hits the ground below the cliff) will be negative. If you choose y increasing downwards then the change in elevation is positive, but you then need to change the signs of the velocity and acceleration to accommodate the choice of axes direction. If you choose the ground level for y = 0 then you need to incorporate the initial elevation (height of the cliff) into your equation.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It is a type of motion that follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What are the two components of projectile motion?

The two components of projectile motion are the horizontal and vertical components. The horizontal component is the motion of the object along the x-axis, while the vertical component is the motion along the y-axis.

3. How is the trajectory of a projectile calculated?

The trajectory of a projectile is calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of projection, and acceleration due to gravity. These equations can be solved to determine the position, velocity, and time of flight of the projectile.

4. What is the relationship between the initial velocity and the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is directly proportional to the initial velocity squared. This means that if the initial velocity is doubled, the range will be four times as long. Conversely, if the initial velocity is halved, the range will be one-fourth as long.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the projectile and altering its trajectory. This is because air resistance creates a drag force that opposes the motion of the object. In some cases, air resistance can cause the projectile to fall short of its expected range.