Portal Physics Scenario: A or B? Input from Physics Forum Community

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics question about a scenario from the game Portal involving two portals and a cube. The question is whether the velocity of the downward portal would transfer to the cube if the cube is not moving. There are different opinions on the matter, with some considering option B as the most likely outcome. However, the game rules do not allow for moving portals, so the situation is not clearly defined. The conversation also touches on the concept of wormholes and the conservation of energy in this scenario. Ultimately, the question is a hypothetical one that explores the limitations and possibilities of the game's mechanics.
kidcrumb
I did not create this little picture but it is interesting to say the least. It is a physics question or scenario, i don't know how to describe it but would love the input of the physics forum community. Which do you think would happen? A or B?

Background info. This is from a game called portal. Pretty simple. What goes into the orange portal comes out the blue portal. The question here in the picture is would the velocity of the downward portal transfer to the cube if the cube is not moving. That may not even be a right way to describe it but look up some youtube videos if you need more information on how they work.

Attachments

• Portal.jpg
    Portal.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 980
Physics news on Phys.org
I consider the "orange" and "blue" portals to be really the same object--they're points in space where the space is really stitched together a bit unusually. Cut two holes out of a piece of cloth and sew them together, and that's what you have here.

To that end, I expect all principles of relative motion to apply. As far as the portal is concerned, the box is moving and will continue to move even as it passes through with the same momentum (relative to the orientation of the portal, that is).

Too much analysis of this would get to the question of whether wormholes can actually exist, so as far as videogame physics goes, I go with B.

Muphrid said:
Too much analysis of this would get to the question of whether wormholes can actually exist, so as far as videogame physics goes, I go with B.

It's a tricky one. Usually the portals are static or inertial. So the rule is simple:
relative exit velocity = relative entrance velocity

But here the moving portal will experience a strong (de)acceleration upon impact, just as the box entered it. Or let's assume the portal already starts to (de)accelerate before impact. Then the relative entrance velocity decreases while the box is going through. This would mean the relative exit velocity decreases too, and the box will come out stretched.

If the box cannot strech, then the initially faster part, that comes out first, will be slowed down by the slower part, exiting later. So the net velocity will be somewhere between 0 and the initial high exit velocity.

Last edited:
The game rules disallow (with one exception, which is probably an oversight) moving portals, so I don't think this is defined.

Vanadium 50 said:
The game rules disallow (with one exception, which is probably an oversight) moving portals, so I don't think this is defined.
Maybe it's planned for the next part, and the developers are asking for help here. :wink:

Constant velocity portals would be no problem. I assume the entry velocity of the center of mass is taken. So the answer would be B.

Here is more:

http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/21876000/ngbbs4caa540391271.jpg

http://nextlol.com/images/47647-a-paradox-inside-a-paradox.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A.T.: The first one is easy, you get crushed by yourself.
The second one is hard to describe, but I think it could work, unless parts of the table/portal borders hit itself. You would see parts of the blue portal exiting the center of the blue portal and could not move it inwards by more than 50%.

As far as I know, the portal game conserves velocity. The downside is a violation of energy conservation. As you can place the portals at different height, it is impossible to define a potential energy and gravity is not a conservative force in this system.
A tunnel (of negligible length) could fix this and accelerate objects moving "down" or "up". This would give the stretching A.T. described, if the box is too weak or the tunnel too short.

After thinking a bit, there is no case where a portal works when the portal surface is moving perpendicularly to that surface. So this question is "how would a portal operate if the rules of the game were different", which is analogous to "what would the laws of physics say in a situation impossible according to those same laws?"

1. What is the concept behind "Portal physics scenario"?

The concept behind "Portal physics scenario" is a hypothetical scenario in which the laws of physics are altered to allow the creation and manipulation of portals, or gateways, that connect two different points in space and time.

2. How does the creation of portals affect traditional physics principles?

The creation of portals in the "Portal physics scenario" defies traditional physics principles such as conservation of energy and the law of gravity. Objects entering a portal can emerge with a different velocity and direction, and can even defy gravity by falling upwards or sideways.

3. Is the "Portal physics scenario" possible in real life?

Currently, the "Portal physics scenario" is purely theoretical and not possible in real life. While scientists have explored the concept of wormholes and black holes, the creation and manipulation of portals as seen in the game "Portal" is not currently achievable.

4. What are the potential consequences of manipulating portals in the "Portal physics scenario"?

The consequences of manipulating portals in the "Portal physics scenario" could lead to disruptions in the space-time continuum, altering the fabric of reality. This could result in unpredictable and potentially dangerous events, such as time loops or paradoxes.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the "Portal physics scenario"?

While the "Portal physics scenario" is not currently possible in real life, some of the concepts and principles used in the game have inspired scientific research. For example, the use of quantum entanglement in the game has sparked interest in the field of quantum computing.