Portugal vs Netherlands

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

I think this will be a hard game to win for us.. a few more hours to wait.

Answers and Replies

i hope portugal win , but i feel holland will win

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Portugal is up 1-0 at the half, but they're also down a man (Costinha?) for the rest of the game.

NateTG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Things are getting pretty ugly out there... With the replay it looks like Figo should have been sent off (second yellow) for diving, rather than the duchman.

Last edited:
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Its raining yellow cards, this is crazy! 9 for portugal, 7 for netherlands.

Correction, another one for Portugal..
And 3x red.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm hoping for 15 minutes extra time :rolleyes:

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
:cry: nooooooooo

NateTG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
...The officiating could have been better.

PPonte
Victory for my Portugal!!! What a suffer....

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Can't say that wasn't a colorful game! Lots of red and yellow.

Gokul Upload Your New Form Asap! Next Round Has Already Begun!!!

Wow that was pathetic. The Portugeuse players flopped so much they made the Italians look tough. This is why so many people hate soccer. Take a note from the Americans (they may suck, but they're not pansies).

Elbow to the face? Open wound requiring three stitches? I don't care, just give me a bandaid and let me back on the field!

That's the attitude I like to see. These Euro-weenies care more about keeping their perms neat than actually playing soccer. First they flop, then the refs have to make judgement calls that may have a huge effect on the outcome of the game, then the other team flops in retaliation, and then the fans get mad and riot. Yay soccer.

-Job-
Science Advisor
The only reason the USA didn't play the clock was because they were losing. It's not just the European teams. Every team employs this tactic at one point. As far as i remember the USA did the same thing against Portugal in their 3-2 victory in the last world cup, or maybe you didn't watch that game?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not referring to 'playing the clock'. Brazil was ahead of Japan and didn't flop, they actually played quite manly. And I'm not [too] upset that teams switch to keep-away mode and kill time when they're winning. I'm upset that they take a dive, get a player carded, get a foul, get a pentaly kick, and completely change the course of the game. They need to add replay or have some other refs watching replays to eliminate this. Judgement calls have too much impact on the outcome of the game.

-Job-
Science Advisor
That went both ways. I don't agree with Deco's red card for instance. Not to mention the unsportsmanship on the part of the Netherlands for not returning the ball to Portugal.
And i'll "simmer down" if you stop proposing that the European teams are weenies or pansies.

Last edited:
DM
LeBrad said:
Wow that was pathetic. The Portugeuse players flopped so much they made the Italians look tough.
Flopped?

You need medical attention.

Elbow to the face? Open wound requiring three stitches? I don't care, just give me a bandaid and let me back on the field!
Like it or not, Figo was hit in the face. Now, don't blame it on him just because you didn't agree with the red card shown.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
DM said:
Like it or not, Figo was hit in the face. Now, don't blame it on him just because you didn't agree with the red card shown.
Did you see a swollen blue eye? I didn't see anything. His reaction was way overdone, knowing that Boulahrouz would get a red card.

DM
-Job- said:
Not to mention the unsportsmanship on the part of the Netherlands for not returning the ball to Portugal.
I couldn't agree any further!

DM
Monique said:
Did you see a swollen blue eye? I didn't see anything. His reaction was way overdone, knowing that Boulahrouz would get a red card.
Figo was hit in the face, his reaction reflected the pain incurred at that moment. And yes, indeed, there might have been a little bit of over acting but then again if you closely studied Holland's side in the match, they weren't miles away from acting either!

By the way, just because you didn't see any swollen eye, it doesn't mean the player wasn't hit. Again, the red card was shown by the referee, not the player.

-Job-
Science Advisor
Figo was fouled in a dangerous attacking play down the left. This is enough for a yellow, independently of an elbow which the referee might or might not have seen.

shmoe
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
-Job- said:
I don't agree with Deco's red card for instance.
His first yellow was well earned. Can't remember which of the many yellows was his second?

-Job- said:
Not to mention the unsportsmanship on the part of the Netherlands for not returning the ball to Portugal.
Agreed, that was just garbage. Didn't justify Deco's sloppy tackle though. This lack of sportsmanship was the turning point where I started to cheer against the Netherlands.

I didn't see the Brazil/Japan game, but when you're up 4:1 win 10 minutes to go, there's not much need to waste time. Brazil's not afraid to employ time killing tactics though (no Denilson this year though) or flop around like nonces (thankfully no Rivaldo either).

dav2008
Gold Member
Russian ref was a bit tipsy

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
DM said:
By the way, just because you didn't see any swollen eye, it doesn't mean the player wasn't hit. Again, the red card was shown by the referee, not the player.
They showed the replay many times, you think the elbow was intendful?
A referee should have an independent way of judging such issues (2nd opinion, replay), not based on a player's ability to fall to the ground and grasp a body part.

DM
Monique said:
Deliberate or not, Figo was hit in the face. You can't possibly blame him for the yellow card shown to Boulahrouz. Again, Figo did fall based on the pain incurred at the time, he was not aware of Boulahrouz's intents.

Last edited:
shmoe
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Monique said:
I didn't think it was intentional (to strike Figo I mean, hampering him with the arm was probably the goal). This is irrelevant as far the yellow card goes, it was still reckless.