Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Portugal vs Netherlands

1. Jun 25, 2006 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think this will be a hard game to win for us.. a few more hours to wait.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2006 #2
    i hope portugal win , but i feel holland will win

4. Jun 25, 2006 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Portugal is up 1-0 at the half, but they're also down a man (Costinha?) for the rest of the game.

5. Jun 25, 2006 #4

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Things are getting pretty ugly out there... With the replay it looks like Figo should have been sent off (second yellow) for diving, rather than the duchman.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  6. Jun 25, 2006 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Its raining yellow cards, this is crazy! 9 for portugal, 7 for netherlands.

Correction, another one for Portugal..
    And 3x red.

7. Jun 25, 2006 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm hoping for 15 minutes extra time :rolleyes:

8. Jun 25, 2006 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:cry: nooooooooo

9. Jun 25, 2006 #8

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

...The officiating could have been better.

10. Jun 25, 2006 #9
    Victory for my Portugal!!! What a suffer....

11. Jun 25, 2006 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can't say that wasn't a colorful game! Lots of red and yellow.

12. Jun 25, 2006 #11
    Gokul Upload Your New Form Asap! Next Round Has Already Begun!!!

13. Jun 25, 2006 #12
    Wow that was pathetic. The Portugeuse players flopped so much they made the Italians look tough. This is why so many people hate soccer. Take a note from the Americans (they may suck, but they're not pansies).

Elbow to the face? Open wound requiring three stitches? I don't care, just give me a bandaid and let me back on the field!

That's the attitude I like to see. These Euro-weenies care more about keeping their perms neat than actually playing soccer. First they flop, then the refs have to make judgement calls that may have a huge effect on the outcome of the game, then the other team flops in retaliation, and then the fans get mad and riot. Yay soccer.

14. Jun 25, 2006 #13

-Job-

Science Advisor

The only reason the USA didn't play the clock was because they were losing. It's not just the European teams. Every team employs this tactic at one point. As far as i remember the USA did the same thing against Portugal in their 3-2 victory in the last world cup, or maybe you didn't watch that game?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2006
  15. Jun 25, 2006 #14
    I'm not referring to 'playing the clock'. Brazil was ahead of Japan and didn't flop, they actually played quite manly. And I'm not [too] upset that teams switch to keep-away mode and kill time when they're winning. I'm upset that they take a dive, get a player carded, get a foul, get a pentaly kick, and completely change the course of the game. They need to add replay or have some other refs watching replays to eliminate this. Judgement calls have too much impact on the outcome of the game.

16. Jun 25, 2006 #15

-Job-

Science Advisor

That went both ways. I don't agree with Deco's red card for instance. Not to mention the unsportsmanship on the part of the Netherlands for not returning the ball to Portugal.
    And i'll "simmer down" if you stop proposing that the European teams are weenies or pansies.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  17. Jun 25, 2006 #16

DM

Flopped?

You need medical attention.

Like it or not, Figo was hit in the face. Now, don't blame it on him just because you didn't agree with the red card shown.

18. Jun 25, 2006 #17

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you see a swollen blue eye? I didn't see anything. His reaction was way overdone, knowing that Boulahrouz would get a red card.

19. Jun 25, 2006 #18

DM

I couldn't agree any further!

20. Jun 25, 2006 #19

DM

Figo was hit in the face, his reaction reflected the pain incurred at that moment. And yes, indeed, there might have been a little bit of over acting but then again if you closely studied Holland's side in the match, they weren't miles away from acting either!

By the way, just because you didn't see any swollen eye, it doesn't mean the player wasn't hit. Again, the red card was shown by the referee, not the player.

21. Jun 25, 2006 #20

-Job-

Science Advisor

Figo was fouled in a dangerous attacking play down the left. This is enough for a yellow, independently of an elbow which the referee might or might not have seen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?