Portugal vs Netherlands

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
NateTG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm pretty sure we can all agree that especially the second half, didn't show the players off to their best. The referee didn't really have a whole lot of choice about several of the cards considering the FIFA edicts regarding time waisting and the like.

It's really unfortunate because there were sparks of brilliance.

-Job-
Science Advisor
LeBrad said:
The Portugeuse players flopped so much they made the Italians look tough.

The italians are tough.

J77
Refereeing of the highest ****wittery.

Shame the Dutch have gone. I guess Amsterdam will seem a whole less orange this week.

Was gutted last night but this morning I was a bit relieved we get to play Portugal.

Hope we stuff the whingers for the Dutch!

Monique said:
I think this will be a hard game to win for us.. a few more hours to wait.
i am actually very disappointed that Holland did not win. I enjoyed the match yesterday evening and i must say that olland has a great team IMO. Robben, what a player, no ?

Ok, Portugal made a great goal but Holland had more ball pssession and had more chances, especially the attempt of Cocu.

marlon

Figo was struck in the face, but accidently. No yellow card should have been shown to the dutch player because the elbow wasnt that high when you consider that Figo was leaning forward at the time trying to sprint after the ball. Just an unfortunate incident. Deco on the other hand should have received a straight red card for his first tackle, it was late, high and very reckless. Enjoyable game but i was disapointed holland didnt take it to extra time, could have done with some more suspended players!

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Andy said:
Figo was struck in the face, but accidently. No yellow card should have been shown to the dutch player because the elbow wasnt that high when you consider that Figo was leaning forward at the time trying to sprint after the ball. Just an unfortunate incident. Deco on the other hand should have received a straight red card for his first tackle, it was late, high and very reckless. Enjoyable game but i was disapointed holland didnt take it to extra time, could have done with some more suspended players!
It evens out. Boularouz should have gotten red for his tackle on CRonaldo. He got off easy on one and harsh on the other. Personally, if I were refereeing, I'd have a yellow with Boularouz's name on it at the start of every game. The guy's a hack and the quicker he's taken care of, the better.

Deco was the one that took down Heitinga for not sending the ball to the Portugese keeper? I agree. That should have been a red. But then again, the tackle should have been a lot more violent. Was Heitinga really that clueless? Did he not remember why play was stopped and who had the ball? Didn't the fact that Portugal didn't contest the drop ball provide him at least a clue?

As it was, there could have been a few more cards. The player that threw the Portugese player down when he wouldn't give up the ball should have gotten a caution. A few more could have been handed out for the altercations occuring during bookings - at least one more player (the one that went barreling through the cluster of players) and at least one or two on players on the Portugese bench.

As many cards that were given, it was almost as if the referee wore down and just couldn't keep up. Should have been about 20 cards, with two being straight reds. He either wore down or was afraid of getting below the minimum number of players in the event the game went into extra time. With thirty more minutes and no more substitutes, there would have been a real possibility of the game having to be stopped because one of the teams had less than 7 players.

shmoe
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
BobG said:
Deco was the one that took down Heitinga for not sending the ball to the Portugese keeper?

Yes he was. A yellow wasn't unreasonable- I don't remember it being terribly violent, but I wouldn't have disagreed if it was a red either. I haven't seen replays though.

What was Deco's second yellow for?

Andy said:
Enjoyable game but i was disapointed holland didnt take it to extra time, could have done with some more suspended players!

I shamefully admit I was hoping for the same thing.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
shmoe said:
Yes he was. A yellow wasn't unreasonable- I don't remember it being terribly violent, but I wouldn't have disagreed if it was a red either. I haven't seen replays though.

What was Deco's second yellow for?

I shamefully admit I was hoping for the same thing.
Deco was the guy that wouldn't give up the ball when Netherlands had a free kick. Kind of a dumb decision for a guy already carrying a caution.

Yeah, things are looking good for England. Costinha and Deco are definitely out, and Ronaldo won't be full strength if he can play at all. The only good news for Portugal is that Figo won't be suspended for the head butt. That's probably fair, since I don't think it was a violent head butt - it was more like Figo got in his opponent's face a little too close. He was still lucky not to get a red just on general principle.

Last edited:
J77
Everyone's taking their flags down in Amsterdam :frown:

I'm really dissapointed I didn't see this game, but just from hearing about it I'm pleased that the ref flashed his card around so much, maybe this'll serve as an example to all those teams who think gamesmanship is going to advantage them if they keep on playing like dishonourable goats.

Personally I tihnk the captain of each team should be hung up by the neck until virtually unconcious and then dragged around the stadium to the derision of a baying crowd untill there bought back to the block where there disembowled and then there heads and legs removed, the body should be quartered and then each body part placed at the four corners of the city to serve as a warning to others, but that's most likely just me.

Bring back some honour into the game, get up you primadonna, this isn't the damn Oscar performance of your life, a triple back summersault with a half twist is not warranted when someone wafts gently at your leg!!:mad:

Still at least Protugal have a few less players to pit against us English on Saturday.

I'm really dissapointed I didn't see this game, but just from hearing about it I'm pleased that the ref flashed his card around so much, maybe this'll serve as an example to all those teams who think gamesmanship is going to advantage them if they keep on playing like dishonourable goats.

Errmmm... No The ref was on LSD or something, 16 yellows and 4 reds in one game. Football is football, if you touch someone, they will jump. EVERYONE does it. If the ref cant handle that then he shouldnt be refering. The Ref killed this game, it was a disgrace, and I hope he wont be back

Deco was the guy that wouldn't give up the ball when Netherlands had a free kick. Kind of a dumb decision for a guy already carrying a caution.
Deco held onto the ball for ~2 secs, do u honestly think he should have been sent off?

Wow that was pathetic. The Portugeuse players flopped so much they made the Italians look tough. This is why so many people hate soccer. Take a note from the Americans (they may suck, but they're not pansies).
First of all, its called Association football. If you had a clue about what you were talking about, you would know that the art of diving was INVENTED in the "Americas" they call it "Fuball." This game was not over run by players diving, it was overrun by a stupid ref.. Whom has refed his last game.. The FIFA technical board said (Paraphrasing) "The ref should have given himself a yellow card."

On a side note, the better team won anyway. Robben maybe good, but he needs to start playing like he has a team round him.. Same old story for the Netherlands, good players (lots of new ones this time as well) but no team play

Anttech said:
Errmmm... No The ref was on LSD or something, 16 yellows and 4 reds in one game. Football is football, if you touch someone, they will jump. EVERYONE does it. If the ref cant handle that then he shouldnt be refering. The Ref killed this game, it was a disgrace, and I hope he wont be back

Good serves them right I have no tolerance of weak moralled players who will do anything and everything to bring dishonour on the game, zero tolerance is precisely how it shopuld be, good on ya ref. If it takes a ruined game to buck up players who have all the honour and fairplay of a cockroach then so be it. I don't mind it happening ocasionaly but as far as I'm concerned if Enlgand and or Portugal try the same sort of lame arse acting and frigging around as Holland and portugal I hope there are as many red and yellow cards, this pathetic oscar hunting needs to weeded out before it becomes an integral part of the game, and football turns into some stupid gamesmanship orientated loserfest. We are diametrically opposed you think it's all part of the game I think it's all totally lame.

Its not 'weak moralled' its part of the tactics of football. It si everywhere, in every league, in every country. You invite players to fowl you, and you dive when they do. Mate this isnt Rugby!

By the way, do you think England would have won last week if it wasnt for these tactics you so much hate... Doubt it.

if you dont like it, go watch Rugby :)

Anttech said:
Its not 'weak moralled' its part of the tactics of football. It si everywhere, in every league, in every country. You invite players to fowl you, and you dive when they do. Mate this isnt Rugby!

By the way, do you think England would have won last week if it wasnt for these tactics you so much hate... Doubt it.

if you dont like it, go watch Rugby :)

I can't believe you're actually defending this type of play. I want to like soccer, I really do. I like to play soccer, the matches can be exciting, and at times it's a beautiful game to watch. But please, give me players with some integrity. I cannot endorse a sport where flopping is a tactic.

And it's nice to see the Italy-Australia match turned out exactly as I predicted: Italian player flops, ref makes a bad call, outcome of the game is decided by the bad call. Is anyone surprised?

There should be no excuse for this type of play at this level. Add more refs, add replay officials, do something.

LeBrad said:
And it's nice to see the Italy-Australia match turned out exactly as I predicted: Italian player flops, ref makes a bad call, outcome of the game is decided by the bad call. Is anyone surprised?

You are completely right. Italy should have been OUT. thanks to their Divina Commedia and unjust refereeing they go on to the next round. Pfff, what losers

marlon

Honestly I dont care if you dont like football, really I dont care... if you dont understand the rules, then u dont need to comment..

That Italian player didnt 'flop' , u dont go down in the box as a defender and side into someone, that player is going to invite a penalty..

marlon said:
You are completely right. Italy should have been OUT. thanks to their Divina Commedia and unjust refereeing they go on to the next round. Pfff, what losers

marlon

marlon, why was it unjust?????? Go read the rules!

Anttech said:
That Italian player didnt 'flop' , u dont go down in the box as a defender and side into someone, that player is going to invite a penalty..
:rolleyes: That is not what happened.

You don't just fall down to take advantage of a bad and incompetent referee. This is just like taking advantage of the handicapped.

VERGOGNA ITALIA, VERGOGNA !!!

marlon

ps : Besides, didn't LeBrad say that he liked soccer ?

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Schrodinger's Dog said:
Personally I tihnk the captain of each team should be hung up by the neck until virtually unconcious and then dragged around the stadium to the derision of a baying crowd untill there bought back to the block where there disembowled and then there heads and legs removed, the body should be quartered and then each body part placed at the four corners of the city to serve as a warning to others, but that's most likely just me.
Now that's an old school practice that would boost attendance. :rofl:

As for Deco holding the ball, it was a yellow, not a red. The red was because it was his second yellow. He surely knew it would bring a caution if it was his first. Holding the ball in that situation is just a dare, "There's no way you're going to issue a second caution for something like this." He was wrong.

I don't think the referee did a great job, mainly because the players obviously wore him down towards the end of the game and he lost control of what was happening - evidenced by all the bs going on at every stoppage. The refeee's booking one offense and a gang of players are going at each other across the field.

Still, the ugliness of this game had a lot more to do with the players than the referee. They deserved more cards instead of less.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Anttech said:
Honestly I dont care if you dont like football, really I dont care... if you dont understand the rules, then u dont need to comment..

Actually, the player's slide never made contact with the Italian, thanks to a nice move. The Australian player was left on the ground and I think he actually tried to keep from being stepped on or kicked. The Italian player only had to jump over the defender to keep going.

The defender was badly humiliated, but he didn't foul the Italian. Shouldn't have been a PK.

marlon said:
:rolleyes: That is not what happened.

You don't just fall down to take advantage of a bad and incompetent referee. This is just like taking advantage of the handicapped.

VERGOGNA ITALIA, VERGOGNA !!!

marlon

ps : Besides, didn't LeBrad say that he liked soccer ?

marlon, get the chip of from your shoulder, its impeding you abilty to be coherant and balanced

The defender was badly humiliated, but he didn't foul the Italian. Shouldn't have been a PK.
Its the rules...

Anttech said:
marlon, get the chip of from your shoulder, its impeding you abilty to be coherant and balanced
Please refrain from making useless remarks that are not taken seriously by nobody. I suggest you read the last post of BobG...

marlon

Anttech said:
Its the rules...
No it's NOT. Didn't you read BobG's last post ? Stop acting as if soccer is exact science. There always is a context within which one needs to judge and referee. Don't tell me you don't know this.

marlon