1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Position functions

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The motion of a particle is described by the position function

s=((1/3)t^3)-(29t) - (1296/t), t>=1,
    where t is the time in seconds and s is the displacement in metres

a) What is the velocity when acceleration is zero?
    b) Find the displacement when v = 68m/s
    c) When is the acceleration -90m/s^2?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

a) Well, if the velocity is ((t^2)-(29)+(1296t^-2), and the acceleration is (2t^4 - 2592)/t^3, then wouldn't the velocity be 0 when acceleration is 0?

b) v(68)= 4595

c)-90 = (2t^4 - 2592)/t^3 ? (Doesnt seem to work)

I know Im doing something terribly wrong

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi DontEvenTry, welcome to PF!:smile:

Position, velocity, and acceleration are usually vectors; before we proceed, are you sure the position is given as the scalar function you've written above and not as a vector?

4. Feb 22, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

gabbagabbahey, I would interpret this as "one-dimensional" motion. The only distinction between "velocity" and "speed" in one dimension is that velocity can be negative (and this clearly can, for example, v(1) is negative) while speed is always non-negative.

Why would you think that? Surely you don't think "acceleration 0" means "sitting still". A car going at a constant speed of 90 mph has "acceleration 0". You are correct that the acceleration is (2t^4- 2592)/t^3. Now solve (2t^4- 2592)/t^3= 0 and put that value of t into the formula for v.

??? The problem did not ask for v, it asked for "displacement"- the distance moved. Since v= dx/dt, [itex]x= \int v dt[/itex].

Why not? This is the same as -90t^3= 2t^4- 2592 or 2t^4+ 90t^3- 2592. Solve that. (Hint: it has a simple integer solution.)

Yes, you are giving up too easily- that's terribly wrong!
    How do I know there is a "simple integer root"? I tried. Since cubics and quartics can be horrible to solve in general, I guessed (hoped) that there was a simple integer root and just tried putting integer values into the formula.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  5. Feb 22, 2009 #4
    Alright, for a) i got 71m/s
    b) 272m
    c) 3sec

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook