1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Position of a particle

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1
    i got the answer. thanks
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2008 #2
    Theres a few ways to solve it.
    You could graph it (like you were thinking). Because the velocity (change in position with time) should be 0 then just look for wherever the slope is equal to 0. There should be 2 times when this happens.

OR, you could take the derivative of that equation and graph that, then it's velocity is 0 simply wherever the graph is equal to 0. (still 2 spots)

OR you could just do it mathematically, which would be the second method above, but instead of graphing, just set it to 0 and solve for t. I think you'll need the quadratic equation if you do it this way.
  4. Oct 11, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If ch2kb0x has had some calculus, that is the way to go. The Quadratic Formula won't be necessary for this problem.

Without calculus, graphing is the way to go.
  5. Oct 11, 2008 #4
    I took the derivative and graphed it. I got t=0 and t=13 when the curve hits 0 on the "t-axis", but that seems to be the incorrect answer. any help?
  6. Oct 12, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You deleted the question, so how can we help you? Please don't delete whole posts like that after people have already responded to it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?