Position of a ship in a new dimension

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a ship always ending up at its starting point in a new dimension, and the use of a space-time diagram to explain zero displacement. The conversation also touches on the idea of a fourth dimension and the potential for a closed time loop or a closed dimension like the surface of a ball.
lovegood
i need some help here, say if there's a ship, no matter how it steers, it will always end up at the starting point, becauses it is in a new dimension, but how do i go about explaining it? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
how do i use space-time diagram to explain that the displacement is zero?

What do you MEAN by "in a new dimension"?

as in fourth dimension?

Then how does a spaceship "move into the fourth dimension"?

Welcome to PF!

lovegood said:
how do i use space-time diagram to explain that the displacement is zero?

Hi lovegood! Welcome to PF! :smile:

If your fourth dimension is time, then the ship can't return to its starting-point … because, on the space-time diagram, the ship must always be going up. :smile:

Or am I misunderstanding you? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
Hi lovegood! Welcome to PF! :smile:

If your fourth dimension is time, then the ship can't return to its starting-point … because, on the space-time diagram, the ship must always be going up. :smile:

Or am I misunderstanding you? :confused:

unless its near a naked singularity and in a closed time loop :tongue2:

I am not sure if this answers what you are asking but perhaps your dimension is a point, no matter how you move you are still at the beginning. Or perhaps you are referring to a closed dimension, like the surface of a ball. No matter how you move would can (not will) end up back at the beginning.

1. What is the position of a ship in a new dimension?

The position of a ship in a new dimension refers to its location in a three-dimensional space, including height, width, and depth. This can be described using coordinates such as latitude, longitude, and altitude.

2. How is the position of a ship in a new dimension determined?

The position of a ship in a new dimension can be determined using various technologies such as GPS, radar, and sonar. These technologies use satellites, radio waves, and sound waves to accurately pinpoint the ship's location in three-dimensional space.

3. Can the position of a ship in a new dimension change?

Yes, the position of a ship in a new dimension can change due to various factors such as wind, currents, and tides. It can also change if the ship changes its course or speed.

4. How does the position of a ship in a new dimension affect navigation?

The accurate determination and monitoring of a ship's position in a new dimension is crucial for safe and efficient navigation. It allows the crew to plan and adjust their route, avoid hazards, and maintain the correct course and speed.

5. Are there any challenges in determining the position of a ship in a new dimension?

Yes, there can be challenges in determining the position of a ship in a new dimension, especially in remote or congested areas where satellite signals may be weak or blocked. Adverse weather conditions, equipment malfunctions, and human error can also affect the accuracy of the ship's position.