Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Position of ovary

1. Jan 24, 2016 #1

Suraj M

Gold Member

While discussing the anatomy of the female reproductive system someone brought a question about the position of the ovary.
    The question was the ovary is closer to which part of the Fallopian tube?
    The answer looks pretty obvious. We thought it should be the infundibulum as actually it's partially attached to it also( through an extension). But the answer was isthmus. It didn't make sense to me
    What should it be because yes it is close to the isthmus also but how to decide?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2016 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

That's kind of strange. It sure looks like it's closer to the infundibulum, but then again, these are idealized diagrams.

It is possible that, in situ, the ovary snugs up next to the isthmus, but I do not know.

55705-004-63F84BF3.jpg

4. Jan 25, 2016 #3

Suraj M

Gold Member

No no diagrams are useless here I can give you diagrams where the ovary is positioned at the weirdest places(around the position in your posted diagram, but looking closer to the uterus)
    I wanted to know, in real life where it is
    So I asked a gynaecologist, she didn't give me a very satisfying answer, but she did say that the infundibulum is mobile, as in it can swing towards and away from the ovary. Now isn't that different from one individual to the other. She said you could say it's close to the isthmus but then again the infundibulum is partially connected to the ovary + our textbook clearly states that in the Fallopian tube the part closer to the ovary is called infundibulum.
    I would really appreciate it if someone could clear this out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook