1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Position of tranverse wave

1. Feb 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A transverse wave is described by y=0.02 sin(30x-400t). Determine the first positive x-coordinate (x>0) for which the transverse velocity of that point in the medium is at its maximum positive value when t=0. All variables are in SI units.

a) 5.2 cm b) 10.4cm c) 15.7 cm d.20.9 e) none of the above.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the derivative of the position equation to get the equation of velocity, at t=0 which is v = 0.6 cos(30x). I equated it to max velocity which is 0.6, therefore getting 1=cos(30x). arcos(1) is 2pi, which I later divided by 30 to get 0.209.
    Where did I make a mistake?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2015 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Double check your differentiation. Is this the correct dy/dt?

Edit: p.s. arccos(1) is 0 but that's not relevant.

4. Feb 18, 2015 #3
    I assumed we would be differentiating in terms of x, how do we know which variable we are differentiating in terms of?

5. Feb 18, 2015 #4

Nathanael

Homework Helper

The definition of velocity is the derivative with respect to time.

6. Feb 18, 2015 #5
    Oh right, my mistake. Also, even if I were to differentiate with respect to time, the equation obtained is y= 8 cos(30x-400t) and I plug in the value of t=0, getting the equation of y= 8 cos(30x). The position when the velocity is at maximum positive velocity, which is 8. Therefore you get the equation 8=8cos(30x). I will still get the same results, no?

7. Feb 18, 2015 #6

Nathanael

Homework Helper

That's not quite the right equation. You're missing a factor of negative 1, aren't you?

8. Feb 18, 2015 #7
    Oh right, now I see where I made a mistake! Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted