1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Position - time graph

1. Aug 2, 2013 #1
    Hey guys, so I have a quick question about position - time graphs, so without using calculus for lets just say a particle moving west along a horizontal straight line every 0.10 s and the displacement is 0.022, 0.032, 0.042, etc.

Well the displacement from t = 0 aren't really good numbers that I used lol, but lets just assume it's non - linear, and without calculus would we just use a tangent line and find the slope of the tangent line to figure out velocity at what ever time interval we are given.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2013 #2
    I think that is correct, the slope at that particular point is your velocity.

4. Aug 2, 2013 #3
    That's what I'm thinking but I wasn't certain.

5. Aug 4, 2013 #4

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Be careful. There are two different measures of velocity, and either one might be asked for, depending on the problem.

In both cases, assume that you already have a displacement vs. time curve.

• The tangent of any point on the curve gives you the instantaneous velocity. That's the velocity of the particle at a particular instant in time.
    • But if you're given a particular time interval (meaning two, separate points on the curve), it usually means you are being asked to find the average velocity. For that, use

[tex] \vec {v_{\mathrm{ave}}} = \frac{ \vec {\Delta s}}{\Delta t} [/tex]
      where [itex]\vec {\Delta s} [/itex] is the change in displacement and [itex] \Delta t [/itex] is the change in time (i.e., the specified time interval).

[Edit: Instantaneous velocity and average velocity become equal when [itex] \Delta t \rightarrow 0 [/itex], at time t, where the instantaneous velocity was measured, meaning the two points on the curve merge into each other to form a single point. Otherwise, instantaneous and average velocities are not necessarily equal.]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted