How can we determine velocity from a position-time graph without using calculus?

In summary, position-time graphs involve tracking the displacement of a particle over time. Non-linear displacement values can be found using a tangent line and its slope can be used to determine the velocity at a specific time interval. However, there are two types of velocity that may be asked for - instantaneous and average - which are calculated differently.
oldspice1212
Hey guys, so I have a quick question about position - time graphs, so without using calculus for let's just say a particle moving west along a horizontal straight line every 0.10 s and the displacement is 0.022, 0.032, 0.042, etc.

Well the displacement from t = 0 aren't really good numbers that I used lol, but let's just assume it's non - linear, and without calculus would we just use a tangent line and find the slope of the tangent line to figure out velocity at what ever time interval we are given.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that is correct, the slope at that particular point is your velocity.

urbano said:
I think that is correct, the slope at that particular point is your velocity.

That's what I'm thinking but I wasn't certain.

Be careful. There are two different measures of velocity, and either one might be asked for, depending on the problem.

In both cases, assume that you already have a displacement vs. time curve.

• The tangent of any point on the curve gives you the instantaneous velocity. That's the velocity of the particle at a particular instant in time.
  • But if you're given a particular time interval (meaning two, separate points on the curve), it usually means you are being asked to find the average velocity. For that, use

[tex] \vec {v_{\mathrm{ave}}} = \frac{ \vec {\Delta s}}{\Delta t} [/tex]
    where [itex]\vec {\Delta s} [/itex] is the change in displacement and [itex] \Delta t [/itex] is the change in time (i.e., the specified time interval).

[Edit: Instantaneous velocity and average velocity become equal when [itex] \Delta t \rightarrow 0 [/itex], at time t, where the instantaneous velocity was measured, meaning the two points on the curve merge into each other to form a single point. Otherwise, instantaneous and average velocities are not necessarily equal.]

Last edited:
for your question! Yes, you are correct. To determine velocity from a position-time graph without using calculus, we can use the slope of the tangent line at a given point. This slope represents the instantaneous velocity of the particle at that specific time. By finding the slope of the tangent line at different points along the graph, we can determine the velocity at different time intervals. However, it is important to note that this method will only give us the instantaneous velocity at a specific point in time, and not the average velocity over a given interval. To calculate average velocity, we would need to divide the total displacement by the total time taken. I hope this helps!

What is a position-time graph?

A position-time graph is a visual representation of an object's position as it changes over time. It plots the position of the object on the y-axis and time on the x-axis.

How can I interpret a position-time graph?

A position-time graph can provide information about an object's velocity and acceleration. The slope of the graph represents the object's velocity, with steeper slopes indicating faster velocities. The curvature of the graph can also indicate the object's acceleration, with a more curved graph indicating a greater acceleration.

What is the difference between a positive and negative slope on a position-time graph?

A positive slope on a position-time graph indicates that an object is moving in the positive direction, while a negative slope indicates movement in the negative direction. The magnitude of the slope also represents the object's velocity, with a steeper slope indicating a faster velocity.

How can I calculate an object's velocity from a position-time graph?

The object's velocity can be calculated by finding the slope of the line on the position-time graph. This can be done by selecting two points on the graph and dividing the change in position by the change in time between those two points. The resulting value will be the object's average velocity over that time interval.

What are some real-life applications of position-time graphs?

Position-time graphs are commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects. They can also be used to track the movement of vehicles, such as airplanes and cars, and to analyze data in sports such as track and field. Additionally, position-time graphs are used in GPS systems to track the location of objects over time.