Formulating Position Vector with f(t)

In summary, the conversation discusses the formulation of a position vector and a metric tensor in a gravitational field, particularly near a black hole. The equations include variables such as time, acceleration, velocity, and position. The speaker is trying to develop a realistic metric tensor using general relativity principles.
Philosophaie
How do you formulate the Position Vector:

x^m = [t____x____y____z]

x^m = [f(t)____ax/2*t^2 + vx*t + x0____ay/2*t^2 + vy*t + y0____az/2*t^2 + vz*t + z0]

dx^m / dt = [df(t) / dt____ax*t + vx____ay*t + vy____az*t + vz]

What do you put in the"t" position "f(t)".

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Philosophaie! :smile:

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but shouldn't that be …

x^a = [t____ax/2*t^2 + vx*t + x0____ay/2*t^2 + vy*t + y0____az/2*t^2 + vz*t + z0]

dx^a / dt = [1____ax*t + vx____ay*t + vy____az*t + vz] ? :confused:

I am basing my Metric Tensor on:

[tex]g_{ik}*\frac{dx^{i}}{dt}*\frac{dx^{k}}{dt} = -1[/tex]

Do I have the right equation for being in a gravitational field say near a Black Hole with nothing else around?

I am trying to develop a general realistic Metric Tensor that has the acceleration, velocity and position all in a gravitational field (with GR rather than Newtonian).

Last edited:

1. What is a position vector in scientific terms?

A position vector is a mathematical representation of the location of a point in space, defined by its distance and direction from a fixed reference point or origin.

2. How is a position vector formulated?

A position vector is typically formulated using the Cartesian coordinate system, where the coordinates are represented as x, y, and z values. It can also be formulated using other coordinate systems, such as polar or spherical coordinates.

3. What is the significance of using f(t) in formulating a position vector?

The function f(t) represents time in the position vector formula and allows for tracking the motion of the point over time. It allows for the calculation of the position of the point at any given time t.

4. Can a position vector be used to describe the motion of an object?

Yes, a position vector can be used to describe the motion of an object by tracking its position relative to a fixed reference point over time. It can also be used to calculate the object's velocity and acceleration.

5. Are there any limitations to using a position vector to describe motion?

While a position vector can accurately describe the location of a point in space, it does not take into account external factors such as forces acting on the object. It also assumes that the motion is occurring in a straight line, which may not always be the case.