1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Position vectors

1. Apr 9, 2004 #1
    I really need helpo with this question. I am having to revise over easter for the three week break and i need a solution to this. I have all the past exam papers but the lecturere doesnt have any past paper solutions and his lecture notes are vague. TO top it off i wondered if there were any good books with worked examples and questions?

Here is my problem.

At time t, the position vector of a point P, on a fairground ride is given by:

r(t) = (2cost + cos4t)i + (2sint + sin4t)j m

Find its acceleration, F, at time t. Show that:

|f|^2 = 260 + 64 cos3t m^2s^-4

Ok thats the problem.

Now i have managed to get the velocity by differentiation and then the acceleration which works out to be:

a(t) = (-2cost-16cos4t)i + (-2sint-16sin4t)j

But i cant then get this expression to work out to |f|^2 = 260 + 64 cos3t...

Can anyone help?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What have you found |F|^2 to be? You're missing a 4 from inside the first cos in the post.

4. Apr 9, 2004 #3
    It is now corrected.

I got a couple of totally different asnwers to |f|^2 that i reckokn are really wrong.

4cos^2(t) - 256cos^2(4t) + 4sin^2(t) + 256sin^2(4t) Is one of my answers that i think looks halfway there....

5. Apr 9, 2004 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you need to remember that (x+y)^2 = x^2+2xy+y^2 and not x^2+y^2, and that (-x)^2=x

because you're missing two terms in that answer and there's a minus sign, which could just be a typo.

Remember your trig identities too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook