Position Vectors: Finding Point Q on AB in 2:1 Ratio

The change in y coordinate from a(1, -2, 0) to b(-1, 1, 2) is 1- (-2)= 3. 2/3 of that is 2. That is, the change in y coordinate from a(1, -2, 0) to point Q is 2: the y coordinate of Q is -2+ 2= 0. The change in z coordinate from a(1, -2, 0) to b(-1, 1, 2) is 2- 0= 2. 2/3 of that is 4/3. That is, the change in z
geoff18

Homework Statement

Let A,B,C be the three points in R^3 with position vectors
a=(1,-2,0)
b=(-1,1,2)
c=(7,1,6)

respectively.

Find the position vector q of the point Q that divides the line segment AB in the ratio 2:1, (where Q is closer to B.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea how to start...

Physics news on Phys.org
do i find the length of AB first and work out the ratio?

geoff18 said:

Homework Statement

a=(1,-2,0)
b=(-1,1,2)
c=(7,1,6)

respectively.

Find the position vector q of the point Q that divides the line segment AB in the ratio 2:1, (where Q is closer to B.)

Homework Equations

geoff18 said:
do i find the length of AB first and work out the ratio?
No, it is not necessary to find the length of AB! You can, for instead, draw horizontal and vertical lines making a right triangle having vertices at A and B. Then "similar triangles" will make your job easy. Just divide the horizontal and vertal lines into 3 parts.

i tried to do that, but i have no idea how to find the position vector of q...
some more hints pleasE? :p

im waiting online for help, so any help is much appreciated.. thanks in advance. =)

Write the vector equation for the line L that contains the segment AB. This equation will be r(t) = a + t*v

In this equation, a is the vector from the origin to point A, and v is the vector from point A to point B. t is the parameter, and r is a vector that goes from the origin to the point on the line L determined by the parameter t.

What vector is represented by r(0)? By r(1)? Can you think of a way to get to a point 2/3 the way along the segment AB?

when r intersects the line?

Each point of the line corresponds to r(t) for some value of t.

so do i have to find t?
how do i find t?

You get to pick t. If I choose t = 0, r(0) = a + 0*v = <1, -2, 0>. This vector goes from the origin to point A. What I'm calling v is the vector from A to B. Since I am multiplying by 0, I don't need to do any calculations with v for this value of t.

What is r(1)?

geoff18 said:

Homework Statement

a=(1,-2,0)
b=(-1,1,2)
c=(7,1,6)

respectively.

Homework Equations

Best way to show this is to show there exists a socalled linear combination from Linear Algebra of all three vectors which satisfies that condition.

if the vector are called [tex]v_1,v_2,v_3[/tex]

then a linear combination is [tex]u_1 \cdot v_1 + u_2 \cdot v_2 + u_3 \cdot v_3[/tex]

where the [tex]u_1,u_2,u_3[/tex] are weights...

geoff18 said:

Homework Statement

a=(1,-2,0)
b=(-1,1,2)
c=(7,1,6)

respectively.

Homework Equations

HallsofIvy said:
No, it is not necessary to find the length of AB! You can, for instead, draw horizontal and vertical lines making a right triangle having vertices at A and B. Then "similar triangles" will make your job easy. Just divide the horizontal and vertal lines into 3 parts.
Since you apparently did not understand my first response, using "similar triangles" based on the coordinate axes:
The change in x-coordinate form a(1, -2, 0) to b(-1, 1, 2) is -1- 1= -2. 2/3 of that is -4/3. That is, the change in x coordinate from a(1, -2, 0) to point Q is -4/3: the x coordinate of Q is 1+ -4/3= -1/3.

Do the same for the y and z coordinates.

1. What is a position vector?

A position vector is a mathematical concept used to represent the position of a point in space. It is a directed line segment that starts from the origin and ends at the point, with its length representing the distance and its direction representing the direction from the origin to the point.

2. How do you find point Q on AB in a 2:1 ratio?

To find point Q on AB in a 2:1 ratio, you can use the following formula: Q = A + 2/3(AB). This means you need to start from point A and move 2/3 of the distance towards point B in the direction of the vector AB. This will give you the coordinates of point Q.

3. What is the significance of the 2:1 ratio?

The 2:1 ratio is used to represent the relative distance between two points on a line. It means that one point is twice as far away from the other point as the distance between the two points. In the case of finding point Q on AB, it means that point Q is twice as far from point A as the distance between points A and B.

4. Can you use this concept in three dimensions?

Yes, the concept of position vectors can be extended to three dimensions. In this case, the position vector will have three components representing the coordinates in x, y, and z directions. The process of finding a point in a given ratio on a line can also be applied in three dimensions.

5. How is this concept used in real life?

The concept of position vectors has various applications in real life, such as in physics, engineering, and navigation. It is used to represent the position of objects in space and to calculate distances and directions between them. It is also used in computer graphics to create 3D models and animations.