1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Position, velocity

1. Dec 20, 2005 #1
    if a person throws a rock strait up with an initial velocity of 25 m/s and a rock is dropped from a height of 50 ft. how do you determine the time at which they will meet in the air?:grumpy:
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2005 #2
    You find two equations which describe the position of the two rocks as a function of time and then set them equal to one another.

If you have any more questions please post back with whatever work you have attempted so that we have a better idea as to how we can help you.
  4. Dec 20, 2005 #3
    i got x = vi + (at^2)/2 and i plugged in my information and set them equal to eachother but time comes out negative :bugeye:
  5. Dec 20, 2005 #4
    Up: [tex]y_{2} = y_{1} + v_{1y}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex] v1 = 25, a = -9.8, what's your initial height when you throw it straight up? from the ground?

Drop: [tex]y_{2} = y_{1} + v_{1y}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex] v1=0, a=-9.8, y1=50.

You could set the y2's equal to each other.

[tex]50 - \frac{1}{2}gt^2 = 25t - \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]
    [tex]50 = 25t[/tex]

So, t=2 if the rock is thrown up from the ground, and if you take t=2 and put it into each, you end up with the same height, 30.4m.
  6. Dec 20, 2005 #5
    u have 4 motion equations to work from.
  7. Dec 22, 2005 #6

Gold Member

Maybe it came out negative cause you forgot to put a minus sign on the acceleration of the rock going up?
  8. Dec 24, 2005 #7
    Maybe you should show some work instead of being a lazy person and having others do it for you?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?