Finding Position Vectors and Particle Locations in 3-Dimensional Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle traveling in a three-dimensional space with a given direction vector. The goal is to find the position vector and location of the particle at a specific time. The conversation also mentions the need for an initial condition to solve for the constants of integration. It is later clarified that the particle changes its path at t=pi and travels on the direction of its velocity vector.
ducdat231
Can someone please help me with this?

Homework Statement

A particle begin to travel (in 3-d dimension) at time t=pi with the direction vector d=-sin(t)i+cos(t)j+k

2. The attempt at a solution
Find the position vector r of that particle and the location of that particle at time t=2pi

I depressingly need some helps with this problem. You can just simply give me some idea or method and don't have to solve it step by step. Thanks a bunch!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}= -sin(t)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}= cos(t)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dz}{dt}= 1[/itex]
You can solve for x, y, and z by integrating. You will, however, need to know some "initial condition" to solve for the three "constants of integration" you will get. The problem says the particle starts moving at time t= pi. Doesn't the problem give a position for the particle at that time?

I'm sorry, my bad, the particle was traveling in the helical path r=cos(t)i+sin(t)+tk but at t=pi it changed and took the tangential path to the initial path. So I figured out it would travel on the direction of the velocity vector which I was given as the direction vector.

1. What is a position vector?

A position vector is a mathematical concept used to represent the position of a particle in a coordinate system. It is a vector that points from the origin of the coordinate system to the location of the particle.

2. How is a position vector different from a displacement vector?

A position vector represents the current location of a particle, while a displacement vector represents the change in position of a particle from one point to another. Displacement vectors have a fixed starting point, while position vectors do not.

3. How is a position vector represented mathematically?

A position vector is typically represented by the symbol r or r(t), where t is the time variable. It can also be represented in its component form, r = x i + y j + z k, where x, y, and z are the respective coordinates of the particle in the x, y, and z directions.

4. How is the magnitude of a position vector calculated?

The magnitude of a position vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the length of the vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In other words, the magnitude of r is given by |r| = √(x² + y² + z²).

5. Can a position vector have negative components?

Yes, a position vector can have negative components. This simply means that the particle is located in the negative direction of the respective coordinate axis. The important thing is that the vector points from the origin to the location of the particle, regardless of its components.