Positioning points inside a triangle

In summary, the proper arrangement of capsomeres on a triangle in an icosahedral polyomavirus is based on the virus' icosahedral geometry, with one capsomere at each vertex and the remaining capsomeres arranged inside the triangle with one at the center and two equidistant from the center and vertices. This ensures equal spacing between all capsomeres.
fael097
hello people, I'm a 3d modeler and animator, and i have a question regarding triangles.

this is a polyomavirus,
http://www.brown.edu/Research/Atwood_Lab/assets/images/home/SV40_particle.jpg

it has a icosahedral geometry and 72 capsomeres (the flower things) arranged on its triangles, like this picture:
sv40_1w.gif

if i pick a triangle, i can see that it has one capsomere in each vertex and three arranged inside the polygon. my question is how to properly arrange these 3 capsomeres in each triangle. if you take a closer look at the picture, you'll notice that each vertex' capsomere has 5 others capsomeres around it, and the other capsomeres (those arranged inside the triangles) have 6 others. they have to be distanced equally from all the capsomeres surrounding them.

thank you in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I can offer some insight into the proper arrangement of capsomeres on a triangle in an icosahedral polyomavirus. The arrangement of capsomeres on a triangle is determined by the symmetry of the virus, which is based on the icosahedral geometry.

In an icosahedron, there are 20 equilateral triangles, each with three vertices. The capsomeres are arranged at the vertices of these triangles, with one capsomere at each vertex. This means that each triangle will have three capsomeres at its vertices.

The remaining capsomeres are then arranged inside the triangle, with one capsomere at the center and the other two equidistant from the center and the vertices. This arrangement ensures that each capsomere is equally spaced from the others surrounding it.

To achieve this, the distance between the center capsomere and the vertex capsomeres will be slightly shorter than the distance between the vertex capsomeres and the other capsomeres inside the triangle. This creates a slightly curved surface, as seen in the image provided.

I hope this helps to answer your question. If you have any further inquiries, please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you for your interest in this fascinating topic!

1. What is the purpose of positioning points inside a triangle?

The purpose of positioning points inside a triangle is to determine the location of a point within the triangle, which can be useful in various mathematical and geometric calculations.

2. How are points positioned inside a triangle?

Points can be positioned inside a triangle by using various methods such as the barycentric coordinates, centroid method, and circumcenter method. These methods involve calculating the distances and angles between the points and the sides of the triangle.

3. What is the significance of positioning points inside a triangle in real-world applications?

Positioning points inside a triangle has real-world applications in fields such as computer graphics, engineering, and navigation. It can be used to determine the location of objects or to create accurate representations of physical structures.

4. Can points be positioned outside a triangle?

Yes, points can be positioned outside a triangle. In fact, there are infinite possible positions for a point outside a triangle. However, when positioning points inside a triangle, the point must lie within the boundaries of the triangle.

5. Is it possible to position points inside a non-triangular shape?

No, the process of positioning points inside a triangle is specific to triangles only. Non-triangular shapes have their own methods of determining the position of points within their boundaries.