1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Positions and vectors

1. Sep 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A motorist drives south at 20.0 m/2 for 3.00 min, then turns west and travels at 25.0 m/s for 2 min, and finally travels northwest at 30.0 m/s for 1.00 min. For this 6.00 min trip, find (a) the total vector displacement, (b) the average speed, and (c) the average velocity.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I tried to convert all that to distance, so multiplying velocity and time. What I don't understand is the north east part. If I were to represent the first part. it would be 3600 m to the south, so -3600j and the second one would be -3000i to and what about the north east part?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

The problem says North West.

The length of the vector will be 1800 but the component vectors would be multiplied by (1/2)*sqrt(2).
  4. Sep 18, 2008 #3
    where did you get (1/2)*sqrt(2) from?
  5. Sep 18, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

That's the value of sine and cosine of a 45 degree angle. A right triangle of unit sides has a hypotenuse of sqrt(2). So finding the sine and cosine is simply 1/sqrt(2) or it can be written as (1/2)*sqrt(2).

You are going Northwest so the sine and cosine components of the displacement vector at that angle can be given as that.
  6. Sep 18, 2008 #5
    so if it says north west then you're assuming the angle is 45 degress with the x axis
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?