1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Positive Definite Matrices

1. Apr 25, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Positive Definite Matrices

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a) If A is Symmetric show that A-λI is positive definite if and only if all eigenvalues of A are >λ, and A-λI is negative definite if and only if all eigenvalues of A are <λ.

b) Use this result to show that all the eigenvalues of
    [ 5 2 -1 0]
    [ 2 5 0 1]
    [-1 0 5 -2]
    [ 0 1 -2 5]
    are between zero and eight.

2. Relevant equations

If all eigenvalues of A>0, A is positive definite.

3. The attempt at a solution

i'm not sure where to start

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2008 #2
    here's a hint: since A is symmetric, you can get a set of eigenvectors of A which are an orthonormal basis for the vector space.

4. Apr 25, 2008 #3
    hmm... i understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure how to apply it. My main problem is with proving part a.

5. Apr 25, 2008 #4
    to show that a matrix M is positive definite, it is sufficient to show that v^T M v > 0 for any vector v in an orthonormal basis. since you can get such a basis with eigenvectors of A, you just need to show that for any eigenvector v of A, v^T (A-λI) v > 0. remember that you know how A acts on eigenvectors.

6. Apr 25, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How would you find the eigenvalues of A-lambda*I? How would you find the eigenvalues of A for that matter?

7. Apr 25, 2008 #6
    like any other eigenvalue i suppose do det((A-lambda*I)-alpha*I)=0 and solve for alpha.

8. Apr 25, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. So when you do that alpha is an eigenvalue of A-lambda*I. Do you see that makes (lambda+alpha) an eigenvalue of A? So what's the relation between the eigenvalues of A and those of A-lambda*I?

9. Apr 25, 2008 #8
    ok, so det(A-lambda*I-alpha*I) implies det (A-alpha*lamba*I) therefore alpha is an eigenvlaue od A-lambda*I and alpha*lambda is an eigenvalue of A.

But what does this say about the relationship between alpha and lambda? I'm supposed to see that if alpha > lambda A is positive definite & is alpha < lambda A is negative definite.

If alpha > lambda, alpha*lambda > lambda
    If alpha < lambda, alpha*lambda can be < lambda

That's all I can see. How does this show that all alpha*lambda> 0 or alpha*lambda<0?

10. Apr 25, 2008 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

det(A-lambda*I-alpha*I)=det(A-(lambda+alpha)*I). '+', not '*'! If alpha+lambda is an eigenvalue of A when alpha is an eigenvalue A-lambda*I, I would say that the eigenvalues of A-lambda*I are obtained by subtracting lambda from the eigenvalues of A. Wouldn't you agree??

11. Apr 25, 2008 #10
    oh riiiight! Thanks!.... but how can we guarantee that alpha + lambda is > 0?

12. Apr 25, 2008 #11
    errr i mean that alpha - lambda is > 0

13. Apr 25, 2008 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You'd better put some conditions on the eigenvalues of A. Look at what you are trying to prove.

14. Apr 25, 2008 #13
    Alright, so I understand the first part... now how do I use this to show that all the eigenvalues of B are between zero & eight? I just checked that B is positive definite...

15. Apr 25, 2008 #14
    ahhh nevermind... i got it!!

16. Apr 25, 2008 #15
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?