Positive integer proof

In summary, we have proven that for any positive operator T, Tk is also positive for every positive integer k. This can be shown through induction or by contradiction, and is based on the definition of a positive matrix as one with all elements greater than 0.
evilpostingmong
positive operator proof

Homework Statement

Prove that if T ∈ L(V) is positive, then so is Tk for every positive
integer k.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let v=b1v1+...+bnvn. Now since T is positive, T has a positive square root. T=S^2. <S^2v, v>=<S^2v1, v>+...+<S^2vn, v>. Now <S^4v, v>=<S^2v1, v>^2+...+<S^2vn, v>^2 yes? Now since S^2 is positive, S^4 is positive. And since S^4 is>=S^2,
<S^4v1, v>+...+<S^4vn, v> is >=<S^2v1, v>+...+<S^2vn, v> which is >=0.
But this doesn't show that its true for S^2k. I remember learning about a technique
called induction. Should that be used?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hmmmm. The one you got there looks like it only deals with powers of 2 even if you did prove it by induction.

Let's get the definitions sorted first. A positive matrix is a matrix with all its elements >0 right?

The idea behind induction is that you want to prove a base case. This is just another name for the simplest case there is. For example, you would want to prove that this is true for k=1 in this case. And then you consider the k+1 case, for all k >= 1. If you want to learn more, I suggest that you read some actual proofs by induction.

It sounds like an induction proof but I think you can also just prove this by contradiction. Assume that there exists some k such that T^k is non-positive.

aostraff said:
hmmmm. The one you got there looks like it only deals with powers of 2 even if you did prove it by induction.

Let's get the definitions sorted first. A positive matrix is a matrix with all its elements >0 right?

The idea behind induction is that you want to prove a base case. This is just another name for the simplest case there is. For example, you would want to prove that this is true for k=1 in this case. And then you consider the k+1 case, for all k >= 1. If you want to learn more, I suggest that you read some actual proofs by induction.

It sounds like an induction proof but I think you can also just prove this by contradiction. Assume that there exists some k such that T^k is non-positive.

Oh ok. Thanks for the help! Btw no offense, but my book said that for T to be positive, <Tv, v> >=0 so T can be a 0 map. But I like your hint, very nice!

Now we assume that T is positive when k=1. Now if T is postive when k=1,
then there must be some k where Tk is negative, for k>1.
Now <Tv, v> is >=0. And <Tkv, v> is <0. But k is >1.
And T has elements >=0. And Tk=Tk-1T.
Therefore <Tkv, v> is >=<Tv, v>.

1. What is a positive integer proof?

A positive integer proof is a mathematical proof that uses only positive whole numbers (integers) to demonstrate the truth of a statement or theorem. It is a formal way of showing that a statement is always true, rather than just being true in a few specific cases.

2. Why do we need positive integer proofs?

Positive integer proofs are important because they provide a rigorous and logical way of verifying the truth of mathematical statements. They also help to establish a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and can be used to build upon existing knowledge to solve more complex problems.

3. How do you construct a positive integer proof?

The process of constructing a positive integer proof involves breaking down the statement or theorem into smaller, more manageable parts. Then, using logical reasoning and mathematical concepts, one must show that each part is true using only positive integers. The proof should be clear, concise, and well-structured.

4. Are there any specific techniques or strategies for solving positive integer proofs?

Yes, there are various techniques and strategies that can be used to solve positive integer proofs. Some common ones include mathematical induction, proof by contradiction, and proof by cases. It is important to carefully consider the statement or theorem and choose the most appropriate approach for the given problem.

5. Can positive integer proofs be used in other areas of science?

Absolutely! Positive integer proofs are not limited to mathematics and can be applied in other areas of science, such as physics, computer science, and engineering. They can help to establish the validity of theories and models, and also aid in problem-solving and decision making.