Is Pushing Against a Car's Motion Positive Work?

In summary, when a car is rolling to the right and you push it to the left, the work being done is negative. This is because the force and displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for work. The correct equation for work is work = force * displacement * cos(angle), and in this scenario, the force is acting in the negative direction while the displacement is in the positive direction. Therefore, the answer is B) negative work.
Thefox14

Homework Statement

A car is rolling to the right and you try to slow it down by pushing on it to the left. You are doing

A) positive work
B) negative work
C) no work until the car comes to a stop
D) You can’t tell because I didn’t tell you which way was positive.

Homework Equations

Work = constant force * distance

The Attempt at a Solution

I think its might be A because you are transferring energy to the car thus positive work but I'm not quite sure. I was tempted to pick D, but after doing a little simulation in my head I chose otherwise.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, you're 0 for 2...one more strike and you're out. Your equation for work is wrong...it's work = force times displacemnt times the cos of the angle between the 2. Which way does the force act on the car...and what is the direction of the displacement of that force?

Well if I said the left was negative, and the right was positive then I'd be applying force in the negative direction while the displacement would be positive. Oh so it would be B then correct? Didn't think about working it out like that

Thefox14 said:
Well if I said the left was negative, and the right was positive then I'd be applying force in the negative direction while the displacement would be positive. Oh so it would be B then correct? Didn't think about working it out like that
Yes, correct. When the force and displacement are opposite, work is negative; when they are in the same direction, work is positive.

Your reasoning is correct, the correct answer is A) positive work. When you push on the car to the left, you are exerting a force in the opposite direction of the car's motion, causing it to slow down. This means that you are doing work on the car, as you are transferring energy to it. The equation for work, as you mentioned, is force times distance, and in this case, the force (pushing to the left) and the distance (the distance the car travels as it slows down) are both in the same direction, resulting in a positive work value. If you had pushed on the car in the same direction as its motion (to the right), then the work would have been negative, as you would have been working against the car's motion and transferring energy away from it. So, in this scenario, you are indeed doing positive work on the car.

1. What is positive work?

Positive work refers to the work done on an object that results in a displacement in the same direction as the applied force. This means that the force applied to the object is in the same direction as the movement of the object.

2. What is negative work?

Negative work refers to the work done on an object that results in a displacement in the opposite direction of the applied force. This means that the force applied to the object is in the opposite direction of the movement of the object.

3. How is positive work calculated?

Positive work is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the applied force by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = F * d, where W is work, F is force, and d is displacement.

4. How is negative work represented in a graph?

Negative work is represented by a downward slope on a force vs. displacement graph. This indicates that the force applied is in the opposite direction of the displacement, resulting in negative work being done on the object.

5. What is the relationship between positive and negative work?

Positive and negative work are opposite in nature, as one results in a displacement in the same direction as the applied force, while the other results in a displacement in the opposite direction. However, both positive and negative work are important in understanding the overall work done on an object in a given situation.