Why Does Amplitude Not Matter in Positive Sequence Detector Circuits?

In summary, the author of "Instantaneous Power Theory and Applications to Power Conditioning" states that for extracting the fundamental positive-sequence voltage using the dual method in Fig. 4-27, the amplitude of the auxiliary currents i'alpha and i'beta is not important and can be chosen arbitrarily. The person studying the concept has simulated it in Simulink and confirmed its functionality, but is unsure why the amplitude of the currents from the PLL circuit does not matter. They wonder if the amplitude cancels out in the math within some of the blocks.
OliskaP
Hi,

I am studying a positive sequence detector and have some trouble understanding it. I understand most of it, but the author in the book "Instantaneous Power Theory and Applications to Power Conditioning" writes:
For extracting the fundamental positive-sequence voltage with the dual method shown in Fig. 4-27, the amplitude of the auxiliary currents i'alpha and i'beta are not important, and can be chosen arbitrarily.

I don't understand why the amplitude of the currents from the PLL circuit does not matter. I have simulated this in Simulink and verified that the circuit works. Does the amplitude cancel each other out behind all the math in some of the blocks?

Best regards

psd.JPG

Source: Instantaneous Power Theory and Applications to Power Conditioning

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bump.

1. What is a positive sequence detector?

A positive sequence detector is a device used in electrical engineering to detect and analyze the positive sequence component of a three-phase electrical system. It determines the magnitude and phase angle of the positive sequence component, which is important for maintaining a balanced and stable power system.

2. How does a positive sequence detector work?

A positive sequence detector works by measuring the voltage and current of each phase in a three-phase system and analyzing their relative magnitudes and phase angles. It uses mathematical algorithms to isolate the positive sequence component and provide accurate measurements.

3. What is the purpose of a positive sequence detector?

The purpose of a positive sequence detector is to analyze the health and stability of a three-phase electrical system. It can detect any imbalances or faults in the system, which can help prevent power outages and damage to equipment.

4. What are the benefits of using a positive sequence detector?

Using a positive sequence detector can help improve the reliability and efficiency of a power system. It can also aid in identifying and diagnosing issues, allowing for faster and more accurate repairs.

5. Can a positive sequence detector be used in single-phase systems?

No, a positive sequence detector is specifically designed for use in three-phase systems. However, there are similar devices that can be used in single-phase systems, such as a phase sequence detector.