Positive Thinking: Math Struggles & How to Overcome Them

In summary, this person failed their first calc2 test because they did not study the material enough. They are trying to stay positive and focus on the learning instead of the test.
LT72884
All right guys. A lil history bout me. in high school (10 years ago) i hated math, now i like it. Never went far with it in high school. Failed trig a year and a half ago. had to retake. Now I am in my first EVER calc2 class. Finished calc 1 with a high 80's (87 or so). Now I am in calc2 and i bombed my first test. 66% average was about 60% or so. I LOVE my instructor and i had him for calc1. So, guidance from people would be nice. I am trying to stay positive and realize that its just a test. its the learning i need to focus on. I have tried to understand the material but it is soooooo new to me and i have no physics behind me at all either. Mainly, its knowing which formula to use. it took me 4 or 5 hours to complete 4 volume problems... it just makes no sense. haha. anyway i find positive thinking is a BIG key to figuring out what to do next

He doesn't curve. Our school doesn't allow it for certain math classes. makes it harder.

thanks guys

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
LT72884 said:
Mainly, its knowing which formula to use.

This approach has never worked for me. If I understand the logic behind the ideas and I understand where the formulas come from, then I do well on tests. Some people make 'plug and chug' work but I see very few doing it successfully(at least by my standards). I never could and I've always been quite successful in my math classes.

LT72884 said:
it took me 4 or 5 hours to complete 4 volume problems...

This is not an inordinate amount of time to spend on new material. I've spent ~12 hours in the past two days working on 12 homework problems.

Last edited:
ChaseDuncan said:
This approach has never worked for me. If I understand the logic behind the ideas and I understand where the formulas come from, then I do well on tests. Some people make 'plug and chug' work but I see very few doing it successfully(at least by my standards). I never could and I've always been quite successful in my math classes.

This is not an inordinate amount of time to spend on new material. I've spent ~12 hours in the past two days working on 12 homework problems.

My problem was knowing when to use it or which one. haha. I now the logic behind the formulas for the most part. IE w=fd, but using an integrated approach. However, it is hard for me to see how the force or distance is in the equation. IE a 120 foot cable hanging off the roof. how much work does it take to wind it up? it weighs 3lb/ft. i did not study those enough and my grade reflects it. haha I need to study more honestly
, or at least i think i do.

thanks

1. How can positive thinking help with math struggles?

Positive thinking can help with math struggles by changing the way you approach and think about math. By adopting a positive mindset, you can overcome negative thoughts and self-doubt that may be hindering your progress. This can lead to improved confidence, motivation, and a willingness to try new strategies when solving math problems.

2. What are some common math struggles and how can positive thinking address them?

Common math struggles include fear of failure, lack of motivation, and difficulty understanding concepts. Positive thinking can help address these issues by promoting a growth mindset, where mistakes are seen as opportunities for learning and improvement. By viewing challenges as temporary and having a positive attitude towards learning, students can overcome these struggles and develop a deeper understanding of math concepts.

3. Can positive thinking alone improve math skills?

No, positive thinking alone cannot improve math skills. While having a positive mindset can certainly help, it is important to also put in the effort and practice to improve math skills. Positive thinking can provide the motivation and confidence to work harder and seek help when needed, but it is not a substitute for consistent practice and learning.

4. How can teachers incorporate positive thinking into their math instruction?

Teachers can incorporate positive thinking into their math instruction by creating a supportive and encouraging classroom environment. This can include praising students for their effort, rather than just their grades, and providing opportunities for students to reflect on their progress and set achievable goals. Teachers can also model positive thinking by using growth-oriented language and providing constructive feedback.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to positive thinking in regards to math struggles?

While positive thinking can be beneficial, it is important to be realistic and acknowledge that not every math problem can be solved with a positive attitude alone. It is also important to avoid overly positive or unrealistic thinking, as this can lead to a lack of critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, positive thinking may not be effective for students with severe learning disabilities or those who require more specialized support.