Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Positron generator

1. Aug 6, 2013 #1
    if you have a beam of high energy electrons ( enough energy to create positrons) that hit plate in a vacuum that was positively charged could you produce anit particles without the particels annihilating it self (hence the vacuum) and have the positivly charge particles suspended in a magnetic field? and could you have a 100% energy to matter generator. for example puting in 5000 watts and getting out 5.5632e-14 kgs of mass? direct e=mc2 or would this system be partly efficient

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2013 #2
    You could convert 100% of the mass to energy or vice versa.. BUT not with the technology that exists today or atleast for the next 15-20 years. Correct me if i am wrong but as of today u can convert i guess 0.7 % of mass to energy in the worlds best colliders.
    When u burn a paper u are converting around 0.001% or even lesser!

4. Aug 6, 2013 #3

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

It's worth a taking a moment to do the math before posting... Not everyone reading your post will understand that by "or even lesser", you mean five decimal orders of magnitude. That's the difference between a glass of water and a decent-sized swimming pool.

Besides, 0.00000001% makes your point so much better :smile:

5. Aug 6, 2013 #4

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

There are two questions here: generating positrons, and storing/controlling them to do something interesting with them. If you google for "positron generation" and "positron storage" you'll find a bunch of interesting links, get a sense of just how effective the current techniques are.

No matter what we do, the total amount of energy that we put into creating the initial beam of high-energy electron will far exceed the energy of the massive particles created by the collisions of that beam with its target.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook