1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Positronium Decay

1. Feb 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider positronium decay. Show the magnitude of the momentum for each gamma ray is [tex]m_0c[/tex] where [tex]m_0[/tex] is the mass of the electron.

2. Relevant equations

[tex] E=\sqrt{p^2c^2+m^2c^4}, p=h\nu/v [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how to start this one, though I suspect the solution is elementary. Should I use conservation of energy or momentum or both? Are the above equations relevant? I come from a mathematics background, not a physics background, so problems which require "energy considerations" still confuse me.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2012 #2
    Here's a first attempt: we use conservation of momentum and find [tex] |p_{\text{before}}|=|p_{\text{after}}| \Rightarrow 2\gamma m_0v =2\gamma h\nu / c \Rightarrow m_0v=h\nu/c = |p_i| [/tex] for each gamma ray [tex]p_i[/tex] where the last inequality is from a previous exercise which asks us to show this for each photon. So I end up with *almost* the solution except I have v instead of c. Where did I go wrong?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook