Is Annihilation Really Just Positronium Ground State?

In summary, the theory suggests that what we see as electron-positron annihilation is actually just a positronium atom moving to the ground state, which would explain why we can't detect them without exciting them. It also has the potential to explain dark matter and energy-mass conversions. While it may not be true, it is at least possible and may be testable by experiment.
michael879
so I had this thought earlier today. I am not claiming this is true or even likely but its interesting, possible (from everything I know), and may be testable by experiment.

What if annihilation doesn't actually exist? What if what we see as an electron annihilating with a positron is really just a positronium "atom" moving to the ground state? This "theory" has a lot of nice features so I am curious if its possible or not.

1) Dark matter: since leptons only experience the electromagnetic force, a positronium "atom" in the ground state should be completely invisible to us without exciting it. I am not 100% sure about this but from what I understand, in the ground state both the positron and the electron have spherically symmetric wave functions and overlap completely (not sure if the exclusion principle applies to different particles but if it does they would just have opposite spin). Therefore the "atom" would be electrically neutral at all points and therefore unable to detect without exciting. This could be a possible explanation of dark matter since its massive and undetectable.

2) No energy-mass conversions: When we send high energy photons into a vacuum we observe electron-positron pairs created. In this "theory", rather than being created from the photon, one of the particles absorbs the photon (which has energy greater than the ground state energy) and the "atom" is destroyed leaving an electron and positron.

3) No annihilation: Rather than electrons and positrons annihilating each other, they simple fall into the ground state of positronium and emit a photon.

4) Possibly testable: Since in any vacuum there would be a finite number of positronium "atoms", the behavior of pair creation would be different than if the pairs were actually created. Send x high energy photons into a vacuum and observe y electron-positron pairs created. Plotting x vs. y will give two very different graphs in the two cases. In the expected case it will be linear while in the case of my "theory", it will approach some maximum.

Like I said, I am sure there is some reason why this can't be true but I don't see it. I did check out the energy of the ground state of positronium which is 9.65e-30. The mass-energy of an electron, on the other hand, is 1.64e-13. There might be some way to reconcile that but either way it does dispute the theory (if they were identical it would be MUCH more convincing lol).

Physics news on Phys.org
What if annihilation doesn't actually exist? What if what we see as an electron annihilating with a positron is really just a positronium "atom" moving to the ground state? This "theory" has a lot of nice features so I am curious if its possible or not.
Since we can detect the photons and neutrinos resulting from matter/antimatter annihilation, even when the particles have very small kinetic energy, where would this energy come from if the electron and positron remained in matter form?

ah good point, completely forgot about neutrinos. Scratch that idea then..

What is the positronium ground state?

The positronium ground state is the lowest energy state of a bound system consisting of an electron and a positron (the antiparticle of an electron). In this state, the electron and positron are orbiting each other in a stable configuration, similar to the way that an electron orbits a nucleus in an atom.

How does the positronium ground state differ from the ground state of an atom?

The positronium ground state is similar to the ground state of an atom in that it is the lowest energy state of the system. However, unlike an atom where the nucleus is much heavier than the electron, in positronium, the masses of the electron and positron are equal. This leads to some differences in the energy levels and properties of the two systems.

What is the lifetime of the positronium ground state?

The lifetime of the positronium ground state is very short, on the order of 140 nanoseconds. This is due to the fact that positronium is an unstable system, and the electron and positron will eventually annihilate each other, releasing gamma rays.

How is the positronium ground state studied?

The positronium ground state is studied using various experimental techniques, such as positron annihilation spectroscopy and laser spectroscopy. These methods allow scientists to measure the energy levels and properties of the system, providing insight into the nature of positronium and its ground state.

What are the applications of the positronium ground state?

Research on the positronium ground state has potential applications in fields such as quantum computing and antimatter research. Additionally, positronium is used in medical imaging techniques, such as positron emission tomography (PET), which rely on positron annihilation to produce images of the body's internal structures and processes.