Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possession of 1oz. of Marijuana OK'd in Denver.

1. Nov 8, 2005 #1

"DENVER (AP) -- Residents of the Mile High City have voted to legalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana for adults. Authorities, though, said state possession laws will be applied instead.

With 100 percent of precincts reporting early Wednesday, 54 percent, or 56,001 voters, cast ballots for the ordinance, while 46 percent, or 48,632 voters, voted against it."

So what the hell? It's legal under Denver ordinance to have up to 1oz. of marijuana, but people can still be prosecuted under federal and state laws? Kudos to Denver, but what's going to happen when the first guy in Denver is caught withi less than 1oz. of marijuana? Are there any court rulings on things like this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2005 #2

Gold Member

Yah I don't get it... so the police won't prosecute you under local law... but you will get prosecuted under state and by the feds? So... does this mean instead of a slap on the wrist and a punch in the face, you get to avoid the slap?
  4. Nov 8, 2005 #3
    I'm thinking it'll just mean that Denver police will be really chill about marijuana from now on, if it works out the way it's intended to.

I suppose smoking in public is still a crime, as well as having massive amounts for dealing, and people who do those are usually the only ones who are prosecuted for it anyway. I guess if people do something illegal with marijuana on them, they tend to get charged for that on top of it all, but it would seem that very few people get busted for nothing other than having an eighth of an ounce or something.
  5. Nov 8, 2005 #4
    I belive that you are right on the money, The City police and city court system will leave you alone if you have an oz. or less. However that dosen't mean the state or the feds can jump all over your butt for having the stuff. It is just like here in Montana and several other states where medical marijuana is legal on the state level and lower, but don't think that for a min. the Feds wont stop at striping you of every thing and putting you in the can so fast your head will spin.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?