Could Time Travel Be Possible By Studying Particle Motion in the CERN Collider?

In summary: Einstein%27s_bridging_the_gap_theory#CriticismNone of those particles actually got to the speed of light. So I'm not sure what further explanation that you want. Getting "close" isn't exactly reaching it.
ananthan345
hi,

in the CERN particle collider they have found out that the particles are moving in time.can this concept be put to reality after studying the motion of the particles in the CERN collider

all answers are welcome

Physics news on Phys.org
ananthan345 said:
hi,

in the CERN particle collider they have found out that the particles are moving in time.can this concept be put to reality after studying the motion of the particles in the CERN collider

all answers are welcome

We are all moving in time.

Can you be more specific? Perhaps you should start by linking to an article that describes this 'moving in time' you speak of.

ananthan345 said:
hi,

all answers are welcome
Well the particles suffer time dilation but that is a different concept from time travel. Are you talking about time dilation?

particle can be accelerated like electrons protons they are charged particles easy to accelerate so they can travel or suffer Time dilution
it's very hard for large bodies or impossible to reach speed of light

sciboudy said:
particle can be accelerated like electrons protons they are charged particles easy to accelerate so they can travel or suffer Time dilution

It is impossible for anything with mass to reach the speed of light.

ryan_m_b said:

electrons have mass and protons i know that they are in cern could accelerate protons
to reach 99 speed of light
can you Explain please

sciboudy said:
electrons have mass and protons i know that they are in cern could accelerate protons
to reach 99 speed of light
can you Explain please

None of those particles actually got to the speed of light. So I'm not sure what further explanation that you want. Getting "close" isn't exactly reaching it.

Zz.

Just out of curiosity - If I built a time machine in 20 years, and then went back in time and gave it to myself 20 years earlier, wouldn't I have always had it? Meaning I wouldn't of had to invent it in the first place?

ryan_m_b said:

I don't think he's saying otherwise.
It's convoluted but read what he said again.

It's hard to accelerate large bodies to near the speed of light. (True) It's impossible to get bodies to reach the speed of light. (True)

Besides, he's talking about time dilution, which is a completely different question. :biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:
I don't think he's saying otherwise.
It's convoluted but read what he said again.

It's hard to accelerate large bodies to near the speed of light. (True) It's impossible to get bodies to reach the speed of light. (True)

Besides, he's talking about time dilution, which is a completely different question. :biggrin:

It was the "hard or impossible" that threw me. As for time dilution, is that like homeopathy for physics? :tongue:

Cbray said:
Just out of curiosity - If I built a time machine in 20 years, and then went back in time and gave it to myself 20 years earlier, wouldn't I have always had it? Meaning I wouldn't of had to invent it in the first place?

Considering it is currently understood that time travel is most likely not possible this question cannot be answered. It's essentially asking "assuming impossible thing X is possible thanks to unexplained phenomenon Y how would X work?". However for your own interest here are some interesting links regarding aspects of time travel;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_timelike_curve
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novikov_self-consistency_principle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_protection_conjecture

1. Can time travel actually happen?

As a scientist, I cannot definitively answer this question as it is still a topic of debate and research in the scientific community. Some theories suggest that time travel may be possible through concepts such as wormholes and time dilation, but there is currently no concrete evidence to support this idea.

2. How would time travel work?

Again, this is a question that has no concrete answer at this time. The concept of time travel involves manipulating the fabric of space-time, which is still not fully understood. Some theories suggest that time travel could occur through advanced technology or by harnessing the power of black holes.

3. Has time travel been proven to exist?

No, there is currently no scientific evidence to prove that time travel exists. While there have been some intriguing experiments and theories, none have been able to definitively prove the existence of time travel.

4. Can we travel to the future or the past?

Theoretically, time travel could allow for travel to both the future and the past. However, traveling to the past presents many paradoxes and issues that have yet to be resolved. Additionally, traveling to the future is limited by the speed of light and the concept of relativity.

5. What are the ethical implications of time travel?

If time travel were to become a reality, there would certainly be ethical concerns to consider. For example, would it be ethical to change events in the past? Would time travelers have any responsibility to prevent tragedies or alter history for the better? These are questions that would need to be carefully considered if time travel were ever to become possible.