1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possibility pyramid

  1. Oct 16, 2004 #1
    a charge can be either negative or positive, computers only understand once and zeroes and for every good thing there is a bad thing.

    Imagine you have a coin with one 1-side and one 0-side. If you do not flip there is a 100% chance that you won't get anything. If you flip once there is a 50% chance that you will get a 1 and 50% chance that you will get a 0.

    If you flip twice there is a 25% chance that you will get two 0, 25% chance that you get two 1 and 50% chance that you will get one 0 and one 1.

    This is the beginning of a possibility pyramid, it looks like this:

    ------------------------------------1----------------------------0 flips
    -------------------------------1/2-----1/2-----------------------1 flip
    ---------------------------1/4-----2/4-----1/4-------------------2 flips
    -----------------------1/8-----3/8-----3/8-----1/8---------------3 flips
    ------------------1/16----4/16----6/16----4/16----1/16----------4 flips
    --------------1/32----5/32---10/32----10/32---5/32----1/32------5 flips

    What is awesome with this pyramid is that there is a pattern in in it. Does this possibility pyramid have a name? It's wonderful how it makes hard math so simple.
     
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2004 #2

    shmoe

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    This is Pascal's triangle, only you've multiplied the nth row by 2^(-n). (the top row is n=0, the zeroth row)

    It gives the binomial coefficients, which are also the number of ways of choosing a heads/tails sequence. e.g. the row 1 4 6 4 1 tells us [tex](x+y)^4=1x^4y^0+4x^3y^1+6x^2y^2+4x^1y^3+1y^4[/tex].
     
  4. Oct 16, 2004 #3
    thanx, might binomial coefficients have something to do with possibility in coin flipping?
     
  5. Oct 16, 2004 #4

    shmoe

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    Yes.

    Let's look at where the coefficient of [tex]x^3y^1[/tex] in [tex](x+y)^4=(x+y)(x+y)(x+y)(x+y)[/tex] comes from. When you expand out these brackets, you have a choice of picking x or y from each [tex](x+y)[/tex] term. This corresponds to a sequence of x's and y's of length 4, you can think of this as a coin with "x" on one side and "y" on the other. The information encoded in the coefficient of [tex]x^3y^1[/tex] is the number of length 4 sequences with 3 x's and 1 y, namely xxxy, xxyx, xyxx, and yxxx. 4 of them, which is the coefficient of [tex]x^3y^1[/tex] when we expand.

    Same idea for all the other coefficients.
     
  6. Oct 17, 2004 #5
    Perfekt, thank you!
     
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?



Similar Discussions: Possibility pyramid
  1. Is This possible? (Replies: 21)

  2. Square pyramid? (Replies: 4)

  3. Pascal's pyramid (Replies: 1)

  4. Frustum Pyramid (Replies: 3)

  5. Is this possible! (Replies: 4)

Loading...