1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possible atomic levels?

1. Jul 18, 2006 #1
    Hello all,

I wonder if anyone can help me with a problem I don't understand about atomic levels. Given an excited state of He with electronic config (1s,2p), I need to find all possible atomic levels.

The answer sheet lists 4 levels:

1) S=0, L=1, J=1
    2) S=1, L=1, J=1+1=2
    3) S=1, L=1, J=1-1=0

These first three I understand, but the fourth:

4) S=1, L=1, J=1 (?)

How come J can be equal to 1? Anyone care to explain or point me in the right direction, please?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

when adding two angular momenta j_1 and j_2 (which can be spin or orbita), the total angular momentum ranges from |j2-j1| to j_1+j_2 in increments of 1. So if you are adding a spin of 1 to an orbital angular momentum L of 1, the total angular momentum goes from |1-1| up to 1+1 in steps of 1, so the possible J are 0,1 and 2 (all values from 0 to 2 in steps of 1).

If you were adding a spin of 3/2 to an orbital angular momentum of 2, say, the possible J would go from 1/2 to 7/2 in steps of 1, so 1/2, 3/2,5/2 and 7/2.
  4. Jul 20, 2006 #3
    Thanks for the help!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?