Possible Ball Lightning Event Recorded in a Wildlife Preserve - April 30, 2016

In summary, the speaker recorded an event back in April 30, 2016 that they believe could be a Ball Lightning event due to the approaching storm with plenty of lightning in a wildlife preserve with no power lines or roads. However, the other person in the conversation disagrees and suggests it could be some other anomalous electrostatic discharge or an arc from an electrical wire. The speaker provides additional evidence by playing the video back frame by frame and showing a stacked version and a slowed down version to demonstrate how the light source moved from one location to another.
astroscout
Hi...I was wondering if you guys can take a look at an event I recorded back on April 30, 2016. The approaching storm with plenty of lightning led me to think this could be a Ball Lightning event. Those mountains are a wildlife preserve and there are no power lines or roads there. It was about 2am when this was taken so I doubt hikers were roaming around with a flashlight but who knows. I monitor the skies for Transient Luminous Events and meteors with my Watec B&W cameras and this is the only time I have ever captured anything like this. Please let me know what you think. Here is the link:

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I don't think that is what is normally called "ball lightning", but it could be some other anomalous electrostatic discharge from the storm.

The videos I have seen which purport to show ball lighting show a small spot of light that moves very fast between clouds or from the clouds to the ground. The flash in your video doesn't appear to be moving. In fact it looks a lot like an arc from an electrical wire. Are you sure there are no power lines over there?

This is of course just my own speculative opinion, which is really the best anyone can give for something like this.

Likes astroscout
Thanx NFuller...There are definitely no power lines there. I played it back frame by frame and the light source does move down the slope a little bit. Here is a stacked version to show the two locations.
compile1.jpg

Attachments

• compile1.jpg
    compile1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,794
Here is a new slowed down version to show how the light source moved from one location to another.

1. What is ball lightning?

Ball lightning is a rare and unexplained atmospheric phenomenon in which a glowing sphere of light appears during or after a thunderstorm. It can vary in size, from a golf ball to a large beach ball, and can last for several seconds to minutes before disappearing.

2. How is ball lightning formed?

The exact formation mechanism of ball lightning is still unknown. Some theories suggest that it is a result of lightning striking the ground or other objects, while others propose that it is a type of plasma discharge. However, none of these theories have been proven conclusively.

3. Can ball lightning cause damage?

There have been reports of ball lightning causing damage to objects and even injuries to people, but these cases are rare. Most of the time, ball lightning dissipates harmlessly without causing any damage.

4. What are the characteristics of a possible ball lightning event?

A possible ball lightning event can be identified by its spherical shape, orange or red color, and its ability to move and change direction. It may also produce a buzzing or crackling sound, and leave behind a lingering odor of ozone or sulfur.

5. How can we study ball lightning?

Since ball lightning is a rare and unpredictable phenomenon, it is difficult to study. Scientists have used high-speed cameras and other instruments to capture and analyze its behavior, but more research is needed to fully understand this mysterious phenomenon.

Back