Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possible Ball Lightning Event

1. Apr 27, 2018 #1
    Hi...I was wondering if you guys can take a look at an event I recorded back on April 30, 2016. The approaching storm with plenty of lightning led me to think this could be a Ball Lightning event. Those mountains are a wildlife preserve and there are no power lines or roads there. It was about 2am when this was taken so I doubt hikers were roaming around with a flashlight but who knows. I monitor the skies for Transient Luminous Events and meteors with my Watec B&W cameras and this is the only time I have ever captured anything like this. Please let me know what you think. Here is the link:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2018 #2
    I don't think that is what is normally called "ball lightning", but it could be some other anomalous electrostatic discharge from the storm.

The videos I have seen which purport to show ball lighting show a small spot of light that moves very fast between clouds or from the clouds to the ground. The flash in your video doesn't appear to be moving. In fact it looks a lot like an arc from an electrical wire. Are you sure there are no power lines over there?

This is of course just my own speculative opinion, which is really the best anyone can give for something like this.

4. Apr 28, 2018 #3
    Thanx NFuller....There are definitely no power lines there. I played it back frame by frame and the light source does move down the slope a little bit. Here is a stacked version to show the two locations. compile1.jpg

5. Apr 28, 2018 #4
    Here is a new slowed down version to show how the light source moved from one location to another.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted