Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bug Possible bug in PF

1. Sep 4, 2009 #1
    When I log in and write a long post, when I try to submit the post I get a new dialog to log in. So I put my name an password and click the button. But then I get an error message that tells me that I logged in since the last time or something to that effect. I says that I should click the back button to return to the previous page. When I click only once the back button it does not take me to the previous page. When I click twice the back button, it does send me back to the previous page but all I see is the quote I was answering to and not the text I typed. I have lost many long posts this way.
    I am using Vista and IE8.

I'll try to recreate this problem again and this time take note of the exact text of the error messages. It looks to me that some part of the forum's program thinks that I am logged-in while another part (the one that prompts me to log-in again) thinks I am logged-out.
    Has anybody else experienced this frustrating problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2009 #2

drizzle

Gold Member

I did, it was a week ago, I kept logging in every time that window pops up but it just didn’t stop and couldn’t post anything, I only get out of it by clicking on the remember me option

4. Sep 4, 2009 #3
    Although I've expected to time out on posts, it's never happened to me on Firefox with XP. I've typed a post and accidentally hit "back" and when I hit "forward" again everything I typed is still there. I'm not sure how much is the site and how much is the browser, and of course using Firefox would be a workaround for you and not a solution, but just FYI.

5. Sep 4, 2009 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's a subtle hint from PF that while either Vista or IE on its own is bad enough, actually using BOTH is disaster! :biggrin:

6. Sep 4, 2009 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I respect your opinion Moonbear, but disagree with you. You're suggesting some sort of intelligent design is at play here, while I say it's natural selection in favor of those who use Firefox.

:biggrin:

7. Sep 4, 2009 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Ah, yes, indeed, how silly of me. I guess when a little birdie tells you something, you're supposed to listen. :wink:

8. Sep 4, 2009 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Don't you DARE badmouthing Vista and IE!

Here in Norway, they work in perfect harmony. It is the fjord factor, I think. :smile:

9. Sep 4, 2009 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They work better when tossed in a fjord? :wink:

10. Sep 4, 2009 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A work-around: write your post in a word processor, then copy-paste into the PF window.

I like doing this especially since I find the PF window is a bit small.

11. Sep 4, 2009 #10
    I would say there is no intelligent design involved in either Vista or IE.

12. Sep 5, 2009 #11
    Thanks for your suggestion Lisa. The thing is I like to use the little button that allows you to surround a paragraph in {quote} markup.
    I have thought about writing the whole post within the PF editor window and then copy and paste to a Notepad document. If I loose it I can always get started again. But the problem is that before copying the text, I forget and click "Submit post". As soon as I click "submit" I realize I made a mistake... Too late!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  13. Sep 5, 2009 #12
    I have another computer with XP. I could try that. The source of the problem might be some security feature in Vista or IE. But I think the forum administrators should look into this problem. There may be more people experiencing it in the future... Or maybe it'll go away by itself?
    I haven't tried to reproduce the bug again so that I can document it better. I'll see if I do it today.

14. Sep 5, 2009 #13
    I think the problem is definitely linked to a timeout. I'll try to reproduce the problem from IE and then install Firefox or maybe Chrome? I wonder how the other browsers compare. I understand that may be a very personal thing.

15. Sep 5, 2009 #14
    I never experienced difficulties with PF website, browser, or operating system, while posting on PF. Only sometimes the human system causes typos, may convey stupid ideas, and even need hydration, drain, lubrication, or any combination of them.

16. Sep 5, 2009 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lol...

17. Sep 5, 2009 #16
    I am running Windows XP and IE-8, and have the same problem. Often I am just browsing and I get logged off. When I am posting I select all and copy just in case I get logged out before the post is complete.

18. Sep 5, 2009 #17
    I tried to reproduce the bug but this time it didn't do it. I think the problem is that when it logs you out due to a time-out it does not update the page. You can still see the "logout" button on top. I'll try to make a copy of the source code for this page and see if there is something suspicious there. I am not too optimistic though.

19. Sep 6, 2009 #18

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

See, Moonbear?
    Vista and IE works after all! Smile:

20. Sep 8, 2009 #19
    I am attaching the error message as I didn't find out how to paste it here.

Any way, it is short enough to type it too:

It would be nice if some programmer at PF looked into a possible cause for this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  21. Sep 8, 2009 #20

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

alexepascual: Delete your cookies, in case you have a bad cookie.

Although I'm not experiencing the problem you are encountering, I too have noticed a bug in the PF software where it often redisplays the log out link immediately after you log out, even though you are already logged out. Occasionally, a problem can be (temporarily) resolved if you click the log out link again. In other words, log out twice.

Have you considered trying Mozilla Firefox? It is a standards-compliant browser, and might not exhibit the same problem you are encountering.

Also, when you visit PF, does the url at the top of your window begin with the letters "www." or not?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook