Possible Combinations with 2, 3, and 6: 3-Digit and 4-Digit Numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the number of possible combinations for 3 digit and 4 digit numbers using specific digits and rules. The formula for finding these combinations is explained and applied to different scenarios. The conversation also clarifies the difference between permutations and combinations.
helpingson

Homework Statement

Q #1 - A math teacher wants to give each student a 3 digit number using only the numbers 2, 3 and 6. Numbers can be repeated. How many possible combinations are there?
Q #2 - (simplified) How many possible four digit combinations are there for the numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4 only using each number once in each combination.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A #1 - I come up with 27, but I know there is a formula that will help me reach that number without writing each possibility out.
A #2 - I remember from years ago in my HS days a formula that was something like: 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 to figure out this type of questions, but maybe I am way off. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
How many ways can the first number be selected for the 3 digit number? There are 3 choices right? Now consider the number of ways which the second number can be selected. Since they can be repeated, there are 3 possibilities again. At this stage, there are 3 starting numbers, and each starting number is followed by 1 of 3 other numbers, giving a total of 3*3=9 combinations. This is only for combinations of 2 different numbers, so now try and apply the same theory to 3.

For number 2 your answer is correct. You have 4 choices for the first number. Once you have chosen that, you can't use it again so you have 3 choices for the second number. Now you can't use either of the first two numbers so you have 2 choices for the third number. Of course, there is only 1 number left for the fourth. The total number of ways you could choose is the product of all those: 4*3*2*1, also known as "4!".

Thank you for the replys! I want to make sure I understand #1: If we were dealing with a 3 digit number, but had 5 choices (1, 2, 3, 4, 5), would there be 125 possibilities? 5*5*5=125. To complicate things, what if we were dealing with a 3 digit number, had 5 choices, but the numbers could not be repeated? Would it be 5*4*3=60?

helpingson said:
Q #2 - (simplified) How many possible four digit combinations are there for the numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4 only using each number once in each combination.

You possibly meant "permutation", not combination. If you had meant the latter, the answer would be 1, not 4!.

helpingson said:
Thank you for the replys! I want to make sure I understand #1: If we were dealing with a 3 digit number, but had 5 choices (1, 2, 3, 4, 5), would there be 125 possibilities? 5*5*5=125. To complicate things, what if we were dealing with a 3 digit number, had 5 choices, but the numbers could not be repeated? Would it be 5*4*3=60?

Correct in all the cases. The last example is nothing but permutation of 5 things taken 3 at a time.

Thank You!

1. What is the concept of possible combinations?

The concept of possible combinations refers to the number of ways in which a set of items or elements can be combined or arranged. This can include various factors such as order, repetition, and restrictions.

2. How do you calculate the number of possible combinations?

The number of possible combinations can be calculated using the formula nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items being chosen. For example, if you have a set of 5 items and you want to choose 3 of them, the number of possible combinations would be 5C3 = 5! / (3!(5-3)!) = 10.

3. What is the difference between combinations and permutations?

Combinations and permutations both involve the arrangement of items, but the main difference is that combinations do not consider order, while permutations do. In other words, combinations focus on the selection of items, while permutations focus on the arrangement of those items.

4. How does the concept of possible combinations apply in real-life situations?

Possible combinations can be found in various real-life situations, such as in sports brackets, lottery numbers, or even in genetic inheritance. It can also be used in problem-solving, decision-making, and data analysis.

5. Can the number of possible combinations be infinite?

No, the number of possible combinations is not infinite. It is limited by the number of items or elements in a set and the restrictions or conditions involved. However, for large numbers, the number of possible combinations can be incredibly large and may seem infinite.