Graphic Anim of Special Theory of Relativity: Exploring Interrelationships

In summary, the relationship between each mathematical value in each of the paradoxes with regard to each observer is clearly demonstrated by the Lorentz Transformations. This could be an interactive animation similar to the Minkowski diagram but shown as a geometric shape instead of a plot.
stickman76
Gold Member
There is a relationship between each of the mathematical values in each of the paradoxes with regard to each observers. There is obviously also a relationship between every situation we study in the Special Theory of Relativity. The Lorentz Transformations obviously prove this. So, I began to wonder, is it possible to visually represent these situations with a geometric shape that changes when the values change? For educational purposes- to help beginners visualize what is happening-

Example: Each side would have a mathematical value (or maybe descriptively) each individual side would represent time dilation, length contraction, light constancy, etc) and as one side's value increased, another decreased so that the sum total of the lengths of the shape would stay the same, the area of the shape would stay the same even as the shape was distorted. The side representing light constancy would stay the same illustrating light constancy. The length of the side representing time dilation would change representing the amount of time dilation, etc.

Could this be an interactive animation similar to the Minkowski diagram but shown as a geometric shape instead of a plot?

Physics news on Phys.org
stickman76 said:
Could this be an interactive animation similar to the Minkowski diagram but shown as a geometric shape instead of a plot?
Have you looked at the "Adamtoons" representation of SR/GR? It is a good little 2D interactive utility, based on Epstein's 'Relativity Visualized'. It depicts not Minkowski spacetime, but rather 'space-propertime'. It is exact for SR, though only correct to first order for GR.

Likes stickman76
I checked it out, thank you. Anything utilizing graphics is helpful to learn these concepts. I’m compiling a list of bookmarks to animations like this so anything else you can suggest is greatly appreciated.

Ibix said:
My own http://www.ibises.org.uk/Minkowski.html let's you draw Minkowski diagrams and smoothly animates frame changes. You may alsowish to check out the Insights article on relativity on rotated graph paper by @robphy.
Is that yours? I love that tool, been using it for awhile. It's a great help when I'm having trouble visualizing a scenario. If you have any interest in updating it and are receptive to requests or ideas, I could send a few your way.

Arkalius said:
Is that yours? I love that tool, been using it for awhile. It's a great help when I'm having trouble visualizing a scenario. If you have any interest in updating it and are receptive to requests or ideas, I could send a few your way.
Yes, I wrote it. Happy to take suggestions, although I don't know if or when I'd get round to implementing them. If you know javascript you're welcome to take a copy and modifumy it yourself - it's all self-contained.

What is the "Special Theory of Relativity"?

The Special Theory of Relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 to explain the relationship between space and time. It describes how objects move at different rates depending on their relative speed and how the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

What is a "Graphic Animation" in relation to the Special Theory of Relativity?

A Graphic Animation is a visual representation or simulation that illustrates the principles and concepts of the Special Theory of Relativity. It uses graphics and animations to demonstrate how objects in motion are affected by the theory's principles.

How does "Graphic Animation of the Special Theory of Relativity" explore interrelationships?

The graphic animation of the Special Theory of Relativity explores the interrelationships between space and time, as well as the concepts of length contraction, time dilation, and the relativity of simultaneity. It visually demonstrates how these concepts are interconnected and affect the behavior of objects in motion.

What are some potential applications of "Graphic Animation of the Special Theory of Relativity"?

Graphic animation of the Special Theory of Relativity can be used in educational settings to help students understand the complex concepts of the theory. It can also be used in scientific research and simulations to model and predict the behavior of objects in motion at high speeds.

Are there any limitations to using "Graphic Animation of the Special Theory of Relativity"?

While graphic animation can provide a visual representation of the Special Theory of Relativity, it may not accurately depict the complexities and nuances of the theory. It is important to also use mathematical and conceptual explanations when studying and understanding the theory.